When to look/buy in Galveston?

Asked by Nycolleencampbell, 77550 Thu Mar 17, 2011

I’m looking to buy a home in Galveston at some point this year. As of August 2011 I’ll have a $16,000 down payment. I am a first time homeowner and only 22 and this is all very new to me, so I have a few questions about real estate in Galveston. First of all when would you suggest I start looking and when is the “down” season for real estate in Galveston? The last thing I need is to be in a bidding war. My price range is $80-$90k if that helps.

Answers

6
Deborah Jama…, Agent, Bayou Vista, TX
Thu Mar 17, 2011
Colleen (Are you in NY?)
Big switch to Galveston :) Looks like you are doing all the right things. Getting your $$ for down payment and doing your research. Are you moving here for school or work? Of course spring & summer are 'hot' for buying on the island! But whenever YOU are ready is the BEST time to buy! It is never too soon to start looking. If you are familiar with the island and the neighborhoods, you are half way there. Order your credit report & know your scores and what that means.

Call me when you are ready to look!
Deb (832) 671-0998
Rebecca Dund…, Agent, Galveston, TX
Thu Mar 17, 2011
August is generally the slowest month for Galveston....but you should start looking now. Do you know about the city grant money to help with your down payment and closing costs? Call me and I will be happy to give you the number to call.
Becky Dundee 409-939-5995
Roger A. Stu…, Agent, Galveston, TX
Thu Mar 17, 2011
Hi Colleen,
Now is the time to start looking before the market starts heating up as we approach summer. Also interest rates are still very low and who knows how long they will stay there. You have more than enough $$ to cover your down payment and closing costs but need to start the process of getting qualified for a loan. I can assist you with a knowledgeable and local loan officer as well.

I am an experienced Realtor with over 35 years in the business and live on the island. Feel free to call or email me on taking the next step.

Roger A. Sturgell
Better Homes Realty, Texas
rsturgell@gmail.com
409.539.5181
Dallas Texas, Agent, Dallas, TN
Thu Mar 17, 2011
Bidding war can happen on any real estate property

As use a Realtor represent you

Down season many instances in communities with easy water access on the market 365 days a year vs. other areas of the country

You will need to apply for a loan approx. 60 days prior to your search which governs how a Realtor can represent you

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com
Jordana Belt, Agent, Houston, TX
Sun Feb 1, 2015

Homes in Galveston are very well priced. You would be hard pressed to find such value in any coastal community, Texas or otherwise.

The market in Galveston mirrors the rest of the country. During the winter, especially the around the holidays, the market slows. People have their minds on other things and the cold weather tends to keep them indoors. The other side of that coin, once spring rolls around, the market picks up considerably and maintains that pace through summer.

If you are handy there are plenty of small to midsize turn of the century homes that need a little tender love and care. This is a great way to build equity. This is something that you can do at your leisure, over the years.

If you need any assistance please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Warm Regards,

Jordana Belt
Borr89, Home Buyer, Galveston, TX
Wed Nov 30, 2011
I noticed your the same age as me looking for almost the same thing. I would be interested in hearing your experiences as they pan out, if you don't mind sharing.