Home Buying in Sudbury>Question Details

Karin, Renter in Sudbury, MA

When renting a house who ususally pays the broker fee?

Asked by Karin, Sudbury, MA Mon Sep 27, 2010

Answers

13
Totally depends as it always in real estate. I would recommend discussing with your broker and working out a compensation plan. All the best
There really isn't a "usually" ... it depends on the rental market. It could be the tenant and even so, it may differ from property to property. It could be the landlord. It could be split. Just do ask and get it clear up front.
Here in Naples it is typically the owner of the property.

Good Luck to you.
Karin:

It truly depends in the market. The rental market is very competitive right now and I would find that both parties might be paying a fee. You can find more helpful hints on my blog on my website.
Karin:

For the most part I am seeing the landlord pay the broker fee, but like Bill states it is very open. Best of luck.
In Eastern Massachusetts, it's negotiable. Usually, market conditions (supply vs. demand) dictate who pays the fee. In a market where too many renters are chasing too few properties, generally the tenant pays the fee. In a market where renters are hard to find, generally the landlord pays the fee. The principle at work seems to be, whoever benefits more from the services of the agent pays the fee. In a fairly balanced market, landlord and tenant can split the fee.

However, as in all real estate transactions, everything is negotiable. You could be in an area where the landlord has, historically, always been the one to pay the fee. But if any individual landlord insists s/he won't pay the fee, then the responsibility falls to the tenant. In such a situation, the tenant would factor in the extra cost and, if the property, terms, and total cost were still desirable, they should have no problem justifying it.
Hi Karin, varies - here in NJ I see all forms:
1. Landlord pays
2. Landlord splits
3. Tenant pays

Often the landlord will begin by trying to push the commission back on the tenant and change his posture if necessary to be competitive. It is wise for the landlord to do what is customary or stand to lose a tenant as a result. And so if competing rentals offer "landlord pays commission" it is wise to do the same so as not to disincent a prospective tenant.

You can negotiate this point, may or may not succeed, but you certainly can try. So if the landlord is not paying or only paying a portion, then you can try to push back if you lease is strong otherwise.

Good luck to you,
Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service
Web Reference: http://www.feenick.com
Not only the norm for the state, but also the current market. Broker Commission in rentals are a bit less "standard".

Basically, if the demand for rentals in the area are so great that the landlord can get away with not paying the fee and tenants just flock to their units ... then that is the way it happens. If the market is such that the landlord needs the marketing skills and attention of a professional real estate agent to attract tenants to their unit ... then chances are, the landlord will be paying the broker fee.

My guess is in Sudbury, in this current market, is that the Landlord will pay the listing agent fee and a tenant will be pay his/her own finding broker's fee ... commonly known as 50/50. Good luck!
That depends on your location. Where I am, the landlord usually pays. But I was aware that in some areas of the Northeast--and Heidi commented about Massachusetts--the tenant pays.

Your local Realtor can advise you. But, it's all negotiable.

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Burke, VA
Hi Karin,

Usually, the landlord pays the broker fee for finding a tenant for their properties that's how it usually works.

Best of luck.
Web Reference: http://www.EcoHomesGA.com
In Massachusetts the general ruler of thumd is tenant pays one months rental fee. I try to get the landlord to pay if I can to help the tenant.
Web Reference: http://www.mdmrealtyinc.com
Usually it's the person who hired the agent to list the property and get it rented.
It depends on the norm for your state. In NY the tenant pays the broker fee. I know in PA for example, it's the landlord.