When listing square footage in Spokane, does the number include the basement?

Asked by Kelly, Bay Street Viaduct Area, Savannah, GA Tue Nov 11, 2008

Answers

2
j, , Denver County, CO
Mon Dec 1, 2008
Hi Kelly

I understand your confusion about sf on the Spokane listings, many of my relocating clients have the same problem. The confusion arises because there are several sf fields in our property data sheet. First is the tax assessed sf and this is the footprint of the building less the garage and is found on public records I believe originating for the permit when the home was first built. As 85% of the homes in the Spokane area have basements and many of the have liveable space, may even be daylight walkout basements so a total sf may be twice the assessed sf or more depending on the syle of the home - a 2 story with a basement could have 3 times the tax assessed for instance. Of course then not all of this sf will be finished such as in the basement or the less often the bonus room over the garage. So a total sf is not necessarily all finished sf. I have noticed on some listing info the tax assessesd sf and total sf are the same number which is only really the case if there is no bsm and only a crawl space so double check the basement field.
Dyer Davis, Agent, Spokane, WA
Thu Nov 13, 2008
Hi Kelly. Yes, the basement square footage is normally listed as part of the total square footage. Even if you are looking at new construction with an unfinished basement, the basement square footage should be listed. If you are looking for homes in a certain area of Spokane, I would be happy to email you a number of listings that demonstrate the basement as part of the total square footage. If you have any further questions, feel free to email me at dyerdavis@windermere.com.