Nick, Home Buyer in Los Angeles, CA

When interior remodeling is done to a house in the Los Angeles County, is the Certificate of Occupancy required when selling the home?

Asked by Nick, Los Angeles, CA Tue Jan 14, 2014

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Caleb Hart, Renter, Orem, UT
Wed Jan 7, 2015
I think you need that in order to confirm that everything was done with permits. We are thinking about remodeling our home. I have never done a remodel before so I don't know what it entails. Apparently you need a certificate when you are done.
0 votes
Shannon Chang, Agent, Arcadia, CA
Wed Jan 15, 2014
Yes, that is to insure the work was done properly and with permits.
0 votes
Barry Stewart, Agent, Watertown, NY
Tue Jan 14, 2014

Shel-lee is correct that some remodels do require a C of O, Where I live, for example, if you remodel more than 80% you need one. At that point you are basically redoing everything so nothing gets "grandfathered" in and everything has to be brought to code. Basically, a C of O says that everything meets all building codes current at the time the work was completed.
0 votes
Shel-lee Dav…, Agent, Rolling Hills Estates, CA
Tue Jan 14, 2014

You should check with the county building department on this. The Certificate of Occupancy would have been required when the building was completed and therefore would already be in existence before the selling of the home.

Contrary to the first response you received, I would be careful in making this determination on my own. I believe there are some levels of remodel where a Certificate of Occupancy may be required. For example, a build out of attic space into living space would probably trigger the requirement for a Certificate of Occupancy. Seek the advice of a professional who is familiar with the building department requirements in your area, or go directly to the building department for this information.

Shel-lee Davis BRE #01817412
Real Estate Consultant
International Real Estate Specialist - IRES®
Senior Real Estate Specialist - SRES®
Certified Home Seller Advisor - CHSA®
Certified Home Buyer Advisor - CHBA®
Member - National Association of Certified Expert Advisors - NAEA
Certified Distressed Property Expert - CDPE®
RE/MAX Estate Properties
424-2HELP12 (424-243-5712)
0 votes
I believe so. They need to know you had permits and all of the right certification when you did the interior remodeling. It's important to make sure you did things correctly. You need to do that before you try to sell your house.
Flag Thu Dec 4, 2014
Lena Samigou…, Agent, Los Angeles, CA
Tue Jan 14, 2014
Hi Nick, if an exsisting house undergoes remodeling, Certificate of Occupancy is not required. Certificate of occupancy is issued when a new house gets built only.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more