When does a property need flood insurance and can any home add flood insurance? If the roof shingles are damaged what covers that?

Asked by Tom Morris, Virginia Beach, VA Fri Dec 31, 2010

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Tim Moore, Agent, Kitty Hawk, NC
Fri Dec 31, 2010
Since you are asking about insurance in 27927 it is a bit different than in other parts of the country.

Flood insurance is going to be required if the property elevation is not above the min set for the area. There are three basic flood zones which are based on elevation above the ocean. X is the highest and would not require flood insurance, you can always add a flood policy on any home in this area. The other flood zones are VE and AE and these will require a flood policy if a lender is involved.

The roof is another policy called a wind/hail policy and many here are written by one organization that writes these policies since most insurance companies have dropped wind coverage from their hazard policies here on the coast. The wind policy will be the most expensive of the three policies you will have with flood being the cheapest in most cases. The hazard policy cover theft, fire and accidents. You definitely need to shop around when buying insurance here on the coast.
2 votes
annes6060, Home Owner, 27927
Sat Aug 15, 2015
If you own the property outright, you are not required to buy flood insurance. For many of us on the oceanfront, it is VERY expensive to insure against flood damage. For example, I was quoted nearly $12,000 to insure my small home, and was able to get it down to $9,200. And even that had a very high deductible and excluded any damage on levels of the house that were less than 12 feet above sea level. So I cancelled after a few years and decided to self insure. It's a gamble, but I only really lose if the house is completely destroyed by a massive hurricane.

It can also be a bit tricky to prove flood damage (i.e., damage from water coming from below through high tides or storm surge) and other water-related damage (i.e., rain damage to your home from high winds that took off a portion of the roof or shatter a window or simply seep through the seams in your house).

The best advice I've seen in all the comments is to check with an insurance expert, and would add that you should talk to other owners near the property you are considering.
0 votes
Tim Lancsek, Agent, Kitty Hawk, NC
Tue Mar 3, 2015
All properties located in a X flood zone do not REQUIRE flood insurance. Flood insurance can be obtained in all area of the Outer Banks however the premiums can vary widely and it is LOT specific. There are properties that FEMA does not write policies on and one would need to venture in to the private sector to obtain it. Those carry signicant premiums sometimes. Give me a call to chat.

Tim Lancsek
ReMax Surfside
0 votes
Jeff Kluger, Agent, Kitty Hawk, NC
Thu Jul 25, 2013
To add to what others have already responded.
If the property is in the COBRA Flood Zone, you will not be able to purchase the flood insurance through the government, and will have to use a third party like Lloyds of London. This can get quite expensive.
0 votes
Jack Flash, , Mount Prospect, IL
Mon Jan 3, 2011
Hi Tom,

Typically, it's your lender who is going to be the one requiring you get flood insurance. And they do so based on FEMA flood maps. If the property is located in a flood zone according to FEMA maps, odds are your lender will insist you have flood insurance of with certain minimum coverage. Although, you may have also local ordinances requiring you to do so. You'd have to check with your the local zoning body to find out about laws that may affect the property.

Sure, any home can have flood insurance added if the insurance company offers coverage for the area where the property is located. But it's usually kind of pricey. So you may not want to pay for it if it's not necessary.

As for shingles, the insurance company would have to answer that. It will depend on the policy coverage and may depend largely on what caused the damage.

Best person to consult would be an insurance agent in your area.

Good luck.

Jack Jentzen
Prudential Starck Realtors
(224) 234-5276
0 votes
Linda S. Cef…, Agent, Franklin, WI
Fri Dec 31, 2010

Here is the link http://www.fema.gov/cis/NC.html for Federal Emergency Management Agency
Community Status Book Report
Communities Participating in the National Flood Program

At the end of these pages are the A,C and X zones. You will have to move around within the site to locate your paritcular zone.

And here is the link for the U.S. wind zones http://www.fema.gov/plan/prevent/saferoom/tsfs02_wind_zones.shtm

Or you can just go http://www.fema.gov and check out the site. There is a lot of information there and I'm sure the answers to your questions. Also, your home owners insurance should be able to guide you as well.
Web Reference:  http://www.lindacefalu.com
0 votes
Linda S. Cef…, Agent, Franklin, WI
Fri Dec 31, 2010

You can go directly to FEMA site and look up your property. It will tell you if you are in a flood plain and at what level. There are orange and green areas and depending on where the lot and house fall in these areas this will tell you if you are an A or B or whatever. It is based on where your home is in relation to the mean sea level. They can explain that in much more detail than I am able to do here.

There are many areas in my state that are not near a body of water but still considered to be a flood plain. They are low lying areas that tend to get all the run off and flood every year. In some areas, the government has actually bought out some of the homes and left the land vacant for other purposes.

You would be wise to check with FEMA directly to get the answers to your questions.
Web Reference:  http://www.lindacefalu.com
0 votes
Dallas Texas, Agent, Dallas, TN
Fri Dec 31, 2010
Flood insurance IS USUALLY recommend if the home is located close to body of water .

Insurance question(s) need confer with that professional each home has is only individual needs AND lender requirements.

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
0 votes
Linda S. Cef…, Agent, Franklin, WI
Fri Dec 31, 2010
When you purchase a home, the lender will do a search to find out if you are in a flood plain and at what level. This will determine whether or not you are required to carry flood insurance and how much it will cost.

The roof shingles are generally covered by your hazard insurance depending on what caused the damage. If it is just normal aging and wear and tear, I'm not sure there is any coverage unless you have a home warranty and then not all home warranties cover roofs.
Web Reference:  http://www.lindacefalu.com
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more