When buying in a 55 age community do all household members have to be 55?

Asked by Patti, Illinois Wed Feb 6, 2013

I still have a 25 year old child attending college that would be living with me for a few more years. Would this be a problem?

--
This question was asked from this property: http://www.trulia.com/property/3097011386-65565-Acoma-Ave-23…

Answers

5
danberns, Home Owner, Desert Hot Springs, CA
Mon Apr 8, 2013
ok this most likely not belong but its how I felt as I was looking for a home 2 years ago and found my home, here in DHS on Palm Drive. Ya its the desert, man was not meant to live here but we do. So read on or just skip. You might have some educating to do with me... I am OPEN to change my views. Housing associations most likely will not change.

I am 57 and have lived in 3 condos and my friends live in gated neighborhoods, I will never buy there because the 'neighborhood' tells you when you can BBQ, how many visitors you can have after 10PM, no cars on the streets, no painting your house, must have color draperies, no solar, your yard gets watered at a different times, my friend cannot use my landscaper because they neighborhood "rats" are afraid that the private property might not be up to their real world choices, made by the few uptight right winged (fill in the blank). and your worried about your 25 year old son in college, before you move in? My humble advice is to RUN AWAY FAST as you can! The crime rate is directly proportional to the ratio of haves and have nots. We (republicans) want more young people born with no LOVE or monty to provide, child is going to steal your car, and maybe to buy his mother medications that the republications don't want to help pay for. When your held at gunpoint for your CASH and Credit Cards, as you slow down &/or stop to drive through your GATE, remember the time you said NO to taking care of the disadvantage. You will be paying for it then, hopefully not with your life or health. Maybe your one of the poor and your son will be helping the family out, well the "board" area government decides not to allow that.

I think RULES are maid for the mindless. OR elderly and frail, where in we should be doing more for them. MILLIONS of other questions come up every day. One Condo I lived in, in Vermont, I had the top floor of a "energy correct" I loved it as I didn't pay for heat, the 2 lower floors did and I was on the 3rd floor. The Association, had to get my permission to insulate in between the floors..

So I am sorry for my rant. I just spent the day trying to figure out if I can afford a new car. Im on disability from the Military, and I give away much of my none essentials to non-profits and to another Veteran that is only able to get $500/mo from his disability that he had to wait 3 years on my dime (I wanted to help) Help your good son, find a single family home, and hire a management company to keep it up for your son when he's gainfully employed and lives helping you out, because he loves you folks. I paid my mom back every cent, and I still pay for her donut hole in MEDICARE. My dad was killed by the mafia, in 1988, I have borrowed from her when I was in need and now I get to help her, out of LOVE. My republican voting siblings are not helping anyone but themselves.

do you firmly know that I want to see gated communities eliminated or taxed like hell! I have strong opinions and some may not make much difference. My blade of grass will never be grown.

PS Agents are here to sell you. (maybe my opinion, maybe true??)

danberns@gmail.com
Ann Young Ba…, , Rancho Mirage, CA
Thu Feb 7, 2013
People less than 55 years of age can often buy in a senior development but to live in one, one of the couple (e.g. husband and wife) has to be over 55 years of age.
Ann Baird#01241288
Maryellen Hi…, Agent, Palm Springs, CA
Thu Feb 7, 2013
Hi Patti - yes that would be a problem - The only way someone can live there under 55 if he or she is a spouse or domestic partner. Sorry
John Juarez, Agent, Fremont, CA
Wed Feb 6, 2013
The requirements can vary somewhat among different communities. Your needs would be served best by contacting a Realtor in the area in which you have an interest. That Realtor will either know the answer for the specific community in which you have an interest or will find out for you.
Robert Greer…, Agent, Desert Hot Springs, CA
Wed Feb 6, 2013
Hello Patti!

It can either be one person, or all persons living in the home who meet the 55 and over requirement; it really depends on the By-laws of the community. Here in Desert Hot Springs we have homes that qualify both examples.

You usually find that the behind gates communities tend to be more supportive of all residents being 55+, while more open communities that are senior tend the other way. I hope this helps you; I would hope that you have a Realtor like myself who knows the community well help you find the right home in a Senior community or otherwise. Have a great evening!

David Viney, Broker and Owner

Greer Viney Group

ABR,SFR,CDRS,CBPS,REW,ePro

760.219.3837 Cell
760.298.3572 Office
760.671.4772 Fax

David@GreerVineyGroup.com

DRE #01453386