Traci Bako, Home Owner in Moseley, VA

When buying a new home in a planned community, is it better to have your own agent or to just go through the agent that represents the community?

Asked by Traci Bako, Moseley, VA Sun Jan 13, 2013

--
This question was asked from this property: http://www.trulia.com/property/3093341694-4719-Jennway-Loop-…

Answers

7
Linda Lorenzo, Agent, McKinney, TX
Sat Apr 13, 2013
So glad you had a good experience having your own representation as it reinforces what we as Realtors have been telling our clients for a long time. It costs you nothing extra and can be actually advantages to you. Congratulations on your new home.
Sarah Jarvis, Agent, Richmond, VA
Sat Aug 23, 2014
A community representative can offer a great deal of insight on the overall plans for the development but at the end of the day, have the developer's (or builder's) best interests at heart when it comes to negotiations.

Know that the information provided is designed to demonstrate the MOST value possible, thus impacting your opinion in such a way as to make the homes seem more valuable than they actually may be. Your representative should do the exact opposite so that you have a full understanding of values. Likewise, a buyer's rep may also know other options which may be better suited for your needs that the community rep will have no interest in making you aware of.

We wrote a post about dealing with builders here -
This is so true! We will never purchase another property without using a Buyer's Agent. We were already pre-approved, told the agent that we didn't want want to go over $X amount (one-half approved amount), what zip codes we preferred, and what areas in those zip codes that were not acceptable. He also hooked us up with an honest, hard-working Selling Agent who sold our house so quickly that our heads were spinning. We had been to quite a few open houses for several months and pretty much narrowed down our option(s). Buyer Agent worked his magic on choice #2 since choice #1 was under contract; Selling Agent squeezed in a rent-back to give us a couple of weeks; and the "team" (Buyer's Rep, Selling Agent, Loan Officer, Closing Atty) tied everything up in a nice bow - done and done. We will never, ever NOT use a Buyer's Agent again. The only time we didn't cost us $2,500 and was just a nightmare, including ID theft, unresolved to this day.
Flag Sun Aug 30, 2015
Elizabeth Bu…, Agent, Fredericksburg, VA
Thu Feb 21, 2013
I have represented a client who bought a new construction in Moseley. I would highly suggest to have your own agent to represent you. You need someone to negotiate and advocate when issues arise. Buying a home is the biggest purchase anyone will ever make and you need a tough agent when doing so for every step of the way.
Travis Jacks…, Agent, Campbell, CA
Sun Jan 13, 2013
In my opinion, its best to have your own agent to represent you in a transaction. If you are looking to buy in Moseley, I can have an experienced Realtor specializing in the area contact you. Send me your name, phone #, and current address to Tjackson@c21mm.com and I will find the perfect agent to assist you with purchasing!

Travis Jackson
Century 21 M & M Associates
DRE#01879566 http://www.408RealEstate.com
tjackson@c21mm.com
(408) 316-5954
Keith Jean-P…, Agent, East Brunswick, NJ
Sun Jan 13, 2013
You can do either or, but the agent at the community "might" have a biased opinion. They are not supposed to if they represent both sides but in life, everything doesn't always go as it should. I would suggest finding someone on here or Zillow with some great reviews that could definitly be an asset in your corner. Good luck with your new home search!
Kristin O'Ne…, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Henrico, VA
Mon Mar 24, 2014
I would strongly suggest finding an agent to represent you. While there may not be as much negotiation needed with a new construction home there is NO cost to you and you will know you are in good hands having someone who is representing you and your best interest.

Please feel free to contact me for a no cost/no obligation Pre-Qualification Letter:

Kristin O'Neil
Production Manager
Tidewater Home Mortgage Group Inc.
NMLS # 266528 http://(www.nmlsconsumeraccess.org)
4405 Cox Rd Suite 200? Glen Allen, VA 23060
Direct Line: 804-887-1711
Toll Free: 888-400-0222 ext. 241
Fax: 866-341-7140
http://www.thmg.net
Traci Bako, Home Owner, Moseley, VA
Sat Apr 13, 2013
Thank you everyone who took the time to answer this question. We ended up going with our USAA preferred realtor, Marcie Mazursky, to finalize our new home in the Summer Lake Home Community. She really helped us navigate an amazing deal with our new home builder. She saved us thousands of dollars & we couldn't have done it without her! Now I can say I know first hand that it IS better to have your own realtor on your side looking out for you. We couldn't be happier with Marcie, Cindy at Summer Lake,& Pat at Homesmith Construction. We have had superior service all around & can't wait to move into our new home in our new neighborhood!