When a home buyer goes to see a gut renovated house, what is the most important part of the house? Kitchen, Bathroom, Bedroom, Basement. Why?

Asked by JustinHomes, Great Neck, NY Wed Mar 9, 2011

I am a investor/developer focused in Manhattan, Brooklyn, and Queens specializing in gut renovations of distressed houses and other various property types.

Answers

8
michele cado…, Agent, Brooklyn, NY
Sat Mar 19, 2011
Depends on the buyers and where the buyers are coming from. For example if most of your buyers are coming from prewar buildings they are looking for large bedroom s where they can fit full bedroom sets which incl the bed, side tables, chest of draws , dressings tables and they will still need space to walk around the room.
Dianne Hicks, Agent, Rancho Bernardo, CA
Thu Mar 10, 2011
I am going to say kitchen but first it would be the most expensive for me to redo and second is that I think in may ways the kitchen can be the heart of the home. It is bottom line what would appeal to me the most!!!

Kindest Regards
Dianne Hicks
Davide Salaf…, , Rochester, NY
Thu Mar 10, 2011
Kitchens always tend to grab a potential buyers attention first. Bathrooms are always important too. Usually the materials that go into a kitchen and bathroom are what draws people. The other rooms are just 4 walls, and nothing would "stand out" to them.

For more buying and selling tips, please visit http://www.RochesterHomeLocator.com

Salafia Sold Team
585-279-8210
http://www.RochesterHomeLocator.com
http://www.FindRochester.com
David Zybin, , Brooklyn, NY
Thu Mar 10, 2011
People buy "kitchens and bathrooms" everything else is just sheetrock and it looks the same in every home.
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Wed Mar 9, 2011
A well designed kitchen is always appealing, followed by the bathrooms; of course the quality of workmanship is also important.
Lee Goade, Agent, GALLATIN, TN
Wed Mar 9, 2011
Justin,

We always give 1st priority and attention to the core and mechanicals on an older home.

But, the main room and Heart beat of a Home is always the Kitchen. Because of all that is done both functionally and socially. #2 it is a very big priority for the Ladies.

A Great Mast. Bed and Bath are naturally a must have item for most Buyers and again it is also a major priority for the Ladies.

p.s. the "Ladies" have a lot (most!) of Buying POWER when couples are Buying! They are normally the driving force behind the whole decision to start looking to buy, when and where to buy. Guy's care more about the garage or the Man cave or if their Flat screen will fit!

Nice Basements are good but not a Huge priority. They will not usually make up for a disappointing main level Living rm. or Great rm. Basements w/o a min. 1/2 bath are a Big disappointment as well...

Hope this helps!

http://www.trulia.com/blog/leegoade/2011/02/the_1st_step_to_…
_
Cindy Moran…, Agent, Clermont, FL
Wed Mar 9, 2011
In my experience, the Kitchen, Master Bedroom, Bath and closet space sell the home for the Wife, the Garage and attic space is for the husband. Also be spurce up your yard. Simple non-expensive do overs.

Be sure that your Kitchen is updated without major expense: include the little things like pull out drawers in at least 3 cabinets, change your lighting to recessed. Include shelving in all closets and pantry area's, and put a few annuals in your front yard, trim your tree's and be sure to water your grass area's so that it looks green. With the garage, be sure if there is attic access, purchase a stair lift.

All of these can be completed at reasonable investment. In addition, try to depersonalize your home for viewing purposes. Remove access clutter, this alone can give the prospect buyer a" perception" to place their own personal belongings in that wide open space. The can visualize their belongings.
Sally Grenier, Agent, Boulder, CO
Wed Mar 9, 2011
They say kitchens sell houses, so I'd make sure you put a lot of effort into the kitchen. Bathrooms are good too. Finished basements are also a huge plus. Just make sure you do everything by the book and don't cut corners. A good Buyer's Agent is going to have their buyers hire a good inspector. You don't want any issues to come up at inspection. A good inspector will be able to see if you're done a good job or not. And...DISCLOSE everything! I had buyers who bought a flip and and the builder did a crappy job and covered up a lot of stuff (that wasn't found during inspection). Later, we were able to prove that the flipper/investor KNEW about a sewer line problem, and had a company cover it up. Bad news for the investor/seller. He had to pay for a whole new sewer line for my buyers to the tune of $5K.