When a co-op apartment has a private outdoor garden space, who is responsible for the space?

Asked by Tice Pell, New York, NY Thu Jun 6, 2013

I guess that the structure (like brick walls, etc.) would be maintained by the building, but that any trees and plantings would be the owner's responsibility. Do you know? Might it be different from one building to the next?

Answers

3
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Thu Jun 6, 2013
Check the house rules paperwork or contact management...
Joseph Hasti…, Agent, Bayside, NY
Thu Jun 6, 2013
I do agree with Christopher below about calling the management company. In a larger sense, I believe that as your maintenance goes to various things such as building upkeep and cleaning, garbage disposal, snow removal, liability insurance, etc. I might also think the upkeep of a common outdoor space would be generally maintained by the bldg management with the work carried out by the bldg super and his porters.

Here's my other thought. As shareholders in a Co-opertive living environment, it is also upon the shareholders to keep this area clean as well. That is to say nobody has a right to cast litter around, carve their initials in the trees or in general make the space less inviting for all that live there. After all you ALL pay for the use of this space.
Christopher…, Agent, Tarrytown, NY
Thu Jun 6, 2013
You might want to call the building management company as they would be able to tell you about that specific building. Technically, you aren't responsible for anything on the exterior. If they plantings are on the coop property then I'd bet it's there responsibility. Just check because you never know these days.

Chris