Question Details

Adam, Other/Just Looking in Oklahoma City, OK

What year did they stop using asbestos insulation?

Asked by Adam, Oklahoma City, OK Sun Mar 7, 2010

Nobody here knows what they are talking about. After 1950 you're probably fine with insulation…
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 28, 2015
Asbestos contaminated insulation, mixed with the mineral vermiculite was used primarily between 1955 and 1990. While manufacturing of discontinued in the late 1984, materials still remained on the market. If you have a home built or insulted during this time, chances are good that it contains asbestos. A professional should be hired to remove it.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 7, 2010
Adam -

Here is a link to a wealth of knowledge on Asbestos
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 7, 2010
I'm not sure exactly what year it happened, but it's been a while. I've never seen a house with asbestos problems that was built after the mid-80s. I know that it still is an issue sometimes, but luckily it's becoming less of a problem over time. I would definitely suggest getting your insulation inspected if you're worried that it has asbestos in it. If it does have asbestos in it, you should get it replaced as soon as possible.
In 1978 they stopped using asbestos insulation!
Thank you for this fact; I had no idea that builders stopped using asbestos insulation so long ago! I feel better about buying a home now, knowing that only older homes may have this kind of insulation. It makes me feel safer knowing that insulation is so high-tech now as well. There are many kinds to choose from, and it is worth the extra cost in order to save on energy bills later on down the road.
Flag Fri Jan 2, 2015
Thanks for this answer. I didn't know that they stopped making insulation with asbestos. I thought that it could still be a bit of a problem. I think it's always a good idea to get your home checked for asbestos anyway.
Flag Fri Dec 12, 2014
Would insulation contractors know a lot about asbestos?
They should know quite a bit about asbestos. They stopped making insulation asbestos back in 1978 I'm pretty sure. You could definitely talk to an insulation contractor to find out more information about asbestos though.
Flag Wed Dec 10, 2014
Well what if you need some asbestos removed? Do you know of any good insulation contractors that would help me out?
my home was built ion 1970's. I have some blown insulation in ceiling. Is it possible that it contains asbestos?