Boxwood2216, Home Buyer in Falls Church, VA

What would be a good estimate for monthly utility costs for 2500 sq ft Sandbridge home? We are not from area and are unfamilair with area utilities

Asked by Boxwood2216, Falls Church, VA Wed Oct 24, 2012

What utilities besides gas/electric?

Answers

5
robin.shoop, , Virginia Beach, VA
Fri Nov 2, 2012
the standard calculation used by VA in determining standard utility cost is 14 cents / square foot of living space so in this case the answer would be about $350/month. However there are many "variables" involved such as year the house was built-determines the age of appliances and efficiencyt of units like a/c units/furnances, etc (unless things have been recently upgraded in an older home). Also homes location must be looked at- in the Sandbridge area where you are close to the water, the enviroment will affect your utiitity bills. My best recommendation would be to ask the homeowner to see recent utility bills. Call me if i can answer any additional questions your may have-I can help you; robin s @ 757-450-4624
Nick Calvert, Agent, Virginia Beach, VA
Wed Oct 24, 2012
All of the previous answers are correct. However, in reality under normal circumstances I would expect to pay about $350 to $400 per month with electric, water and or gas.. I think for estimating costs those numbers will work. As you get closer to a specific purchase you have every reason to ask the seller for the actual bills.. If I can help further let me know at 757-636-0872 or use the web site http://www.virginiabeachhousehunter.com
Kevin Monette, Agent, Virginia Beach, VA
Wed Oct 24, 2012
Gas Electric and water are all normal bills in most homes and as the following agents said, it depends on many factors, down to the material used to build the home.
If you gave me a specific address I can get some of the information your asking about. I do know Sandbridge well and if this is a second home for you, most people rent them out and make anywhere from $60,000 and above, just on rental income per year, then you block out the times you would be coming in.
Please feel free to contact me at monette_55@yahoo.com or just call at 757-735-2628 and I will be better able to assist you.
Holly Fisher, Agent, Virginia Beach, VA
Wed Oct 24, 2012
Dear Boxwood2216,

Utility expenses can depend on the age of the house, roof type, year of the windows, the type & age of HVAC systems, age of the hot-water heater, age and type of pool/hot tub, are there any green features, and so on. Please give me a call so we can discuss your real estate needs & start pinning down the utility facts on the particular homes that have peaked your interest. I look forward to hearing from you!

Holly Fisher

Life is good in coastal Virginia! Let me help you experience all that it has to offer.
Licensed in VA
Nancy Marchm…, Agent, Virginia Beach, VA
Wed Oct 24, 2012
It always depends on usage, of course. My house is just over $2000 sq ft and my electric bill averages under $200 per month. Water costs about $80 per month. How else can I assist you?
Coming from NOVA $80 per month for water seems high. I guess the baseline for utilities in Sandbridge is $300 per month. Which is more expensive-heating or cooling?
Flag Wed Oct 24, 2012