What things or info I shall look for while buying a house for me?

Asked by Jonny, San Francisco, CA Wed Sep 15, 2010

Answers

12
Jed Lane, Agent, Petaluma, CA
Wed Sep 15, 2010
Jonny can't be a broker. No one in any state could pass the test and ask a question like this. If Jonny just filled out the Trulia ID thinking it would be misleading or funny he's already on the wrong foot in buying a property.
Seriously though, what "things" or "info" should everyone look for when buying a home? There isn't enough room in this space to answer the question.
Jonny has identified Potrero Hill as a neighborhood and thats a start. Can he afford the area? Does he want multi-family, single-family, condo, etc? What are his goals?
The first thing Jonny needs is a licensed real estate agent or Realtor ( there is a difference Jonny). There is a difference between a licensed agent and broker also. With good representation Jonny will have myriad conversations and learn what to look for, how to narrow down the search, the fact that the entire process is made up of choices that he will have to make, what all the information that he is required to read, understand and sign-off on means, what the market conditions are in the general and specific area is, how to fashion an initial offer, how to arrange inspections specific to the property he is buying, how to understand the infomration presented ini the reports, how to negotiate the terms and price of the property . . . Get the picture Jonny? Find representation and don't misrepresnt yourself in the process it will only come back and bite you, no one else.
Lance King, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Wed Sep 15, 2010
Are you a real estate broker?
Peter Century…, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Fri Sep 17, 2010
Three basic things: 1. Is this the right property? 2. Is this the right location? 3. Is this right for me Financially?

1. Property: Check foundations, water intrusion (present/future); and other inspections to numerous to list with licensed inspectors.

2. Location: Crime rate (sfpd.org); amenities; shopping; schools; etc.

3. What you can truly afford versus what your bank will lend to you; Are you going to be eating bread and water for the next several years? Then this house is too expensive for you...what's your job security and salary situation? What's a risky loan for you versus a safe loan?

Peter T. Chin DRE 01866332 Century 21 415-213-8220
Tom Priester, Agent, Tequesta, FL
Wed Sep 15, 2010
Jonny,

If you are a broker I am assuming you should have a good idea of what you should look for in purchasing a home. If not, I would find a qualified agent in your area and hire them to assist you.
ruby smith, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Wed Sep 15, 2010
get in contact with a qualified RE agent asap
ruby smith, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Wed Sep 15, 2010
why are you using this a a roundtable? you are an agent
Jeffrey Kropp, Agent, Chicago, IL
Wed Sep 15, 2010
Location, location, location. Make sure it works from you and you can get to where you want in a reasonable amount of time. Are rooms large enough? Is layout modern and open? What are age of mechanicals and roof? The list goes on and on, interview a few good agents. If you are lucky you can find an exclusive buyer agent in your area, they only work with buyers and are required to turn down listings. check http://www.naeba.org for a list of agents in your area.
David Tapper, Agent, Burlingame, CA
Wed Sep 15, 2010
You need to find an agent who knows the area well and is very knowledgeable. Someone who networks with other agents.

If you are buying in the area you work, then make sure to write on the contract that the buyer is a licensed Broker acting as a principal.

I bought a property out of the area of my expertise and used a local agent who knew the area well.

Tap
Lance King, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Wed Sep 15, 2010
It wouldn't be the dumbest question I've ever seen from a real estate person. If you thinking about buying for yourself, Jed is right - find a reputable, experienced, Broker to help you through the process, especially in San Francisco as it is the most complex market I've ever seen and I've personally done business in 7 counties.

Lance King/Owner-Managing Broker
lance@fixedrateproperties.com
415.722.5549
DRE# 01384425
Bev Smucha, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Wed Sep 15, 2010
I Real Estate professional will assist you in the home buying process. You will need to establish what you can afford, and get pre approved with a lender. Your Realtor will guide you in finding the right property for you.
As you start looking, you will formulate the best property for your needs based on the price you can afford.

Bev Smucha
Office: 415-565-4498 Direct: 415-585-0343
Lic.#00855950
e.mail: soval@worldnet.att.net
Scott Godzyk, Agent, Manchester, NH
Wed Sep 15, 2010
Jonny your first step should be to meet with a local and trusted loan officer to get prequailified, once you know what price range should be looking in you can start your search. your best bet is to hire a buyer broker, you can usually do so at no cost to you, they get paid their commission from the fee advertsised in MLS by the listing agent and paid at closing. this way you will have someone assisting you through each step of the buying process.

Your next step is having them supply you with a list of addresses to drive by, choose the houses you want to see inside, when you find one you like, have your agent assist you to assess what the hous eis worth in todays market and base your offer on that.

good luck with your search
Joel Kahn, Agent, Westerville, OH
Wed Sep 15, 2010
You need to answer your "own" questions first such as: what is my price range, what style of home(s) do I like, where do I want to live, what amenities are must-haves and what amenities would be nice, what do I not like in a home (to avoid those), how long do I think I'll live in the home, how big/small of a home is right for me? Once you compile those answers, you can than go to a real estate expert and say "here's my list of what I'm looking for, now please help me with the other items". You're the customer/client so you're the one who gets to dictate what you want. Now, if you have unrealistic expectations, that's where a good agent will be able to guide you and help you.