What strategies do you use when listing a home that needs to be de cluttered?

Asked by Eleanor Sams-Hurdle, Valley Stream, NY Mon Dec 3, 2012

Answers

9
Maria Cipoll…, Agent, Coral Springs, FL
Tue Dec 4, 2012
Always advice the seller of the things that needs to be done in order to get them the highest price in the fastest time. You can do a list of what is very important to do before you even start taking the pictures of the property. If you take them around to see how the other homes for sale in their area are show it to potential buyers, they will understand their competence.

Best of Luck,

Maria Cipollone

Century 21 Tenace

http://www.Flahomespecialist.com
Christopher…, Agent, Tarrytown, NY
Wed Dec 4, 2013
Politely explain that a buyer needs to envision their furnishings in the home and in order to do so there should be plenty of open space.

Chris
Carolina Per…, Agent, Valley Stream, NY
Wed Dec 4, 2013
Explain to the home owner that it is to their advantage to have the home as de cluttered as possible. Buyers need to visualize arranging and decorating the house to their liking. Possibly help them arrange and de clutter if possible.
Andre Dyer, Agent, Plainview, NY
Fri Apr 26, 2013
Hi Eleanor - In general, use the following four (but not Ltd to 4) tips to ensure your house SELLS FAST & FOR TOP DOLLAR:

1. Presentation: / Repairs: as humans, we are very visual. Eyes talk to the brain first when a buyer is looking. All other senses automatically kicks in thereafter. Basic clean up, reorganizing items, closets, Living (main entrance), Kitchen (sink is clear), Bath (no colors in tub), master bedroom (made), kids/other room (toys are organized)' linen closet (folded). all seem minor, but they are actually part of the overall presentation. Same applies for when the appraisal person comes.
Repairs: Minor sprucing up can do wonders. Touch up painting or fully paint rooms where needed & if necessary.

2. Do not ignore curb appeal. 1st impression always last. Many times I pull up to a home, and buyers get turned off before even seeing inside, bc of over grown weeds or junk in yard.

3. Get rid of odors. Plugins can impress the most critical buyers. Good Scents "talk" to their brain. It says to buyer, "BUY". :-)

4. Last but not least. Pricing! Do not over price. If a license realtors quotes a price based on the very important comparibles, aka "comps" (Assuming they use one), it's very likely the deal will close at or around the "professional" realtors suggested price, especially if its a finance deal. Meaning, the buyer's bank will search, see & use the same "comps" when comes time for the bank's appraisal. The reality is deals are getting killed more today, bc of appraisal differences, than ever before. Banks are being more conservative bc of the houses issues we all are familiar with, from 5 years ago.

Point is, pricing is key!

For additional tips, please contact me.

Andre Dyer
Charles Rutenberg Realty, Inc.
Licensed "Professional" Salesperson/Consultant
c: 347-450-5762
o: 516-575-7500
e: adyer0596@gmail,com
w: crrli.com
Jerry Cibuls…, Agent, Southold, NY
Sun Dec 30, 2012
You have to work with the homeowner and let them understand the benefits of making the adjustments. It is always in their best interest in that it decreases the time the house is on the market and the offers will be stronger with buyers who see the value in the house. You have to relay the information that this is an asset for sale and not the personal home it was during the time of ownership. Plus this helps the packing and moving steps that will come once the house goes under contract!
Philip Cabral, Agent, San Jose, CA
Tue Dec 4, 2012
An agent needs to explain to a seller that it is best for the buyers to be able to see the house as their own. And, that it is often difficult to do if the seller has personalized the house to their own taste or have too many of their personal items in the home.

That's just a matter of fact.

It is, however, ultimately the seller's choice to make, even if contrary to the suggestion of the realtor, how they want the house to show.
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Tue Dec 4, 2012
well, it's not exactly a "strategy" - I am just honest, but tactful..........and I understand that most of us (I am including myself in that group) live with too many things around us that need to be removed if the house is being put on the market.

So....I take out a yellow legal pad and walk room by room listing the things that, once removed, may help the sellers obtain a higher selling price!
Gail Gladsto…, Agent, 11743, NY
Tue Dec 4, 2012
I do not want to represent a house that will not sell because of how it looks. I am doing a disservice to the seller if I am not up front and honest. I tell it like it is.

My experience in doing this is that the homeowner usually is already aware of the problems and needs someone to verbalize (out loud) what they already know.

I help them in determining what has to be done and if they need help doing it, I jump right in.

I am running a business and I will not represent a product that is inferior.

The seller wants to move on...I am here to help.
Jacques Ambr…, Agent, Forest Hills, NY
Tue Dec 4, 2012
Tell them to de-clutter and put stuff in storage