What should I pay expanded room with permits ?

Asked by El Nino, Sunnyvale, CA Wed Mar 12, 2008

I am looking at a home with 1350 original area and 350 family room addition. Family room is constructed well and with permits .. (same build quality as house). it's listed as 1600 SQFT house in county records and all websites.

Then where's the problem ?
My assessor, after property inspection, gave only 1350 sqft as gross living area, and 350 sqft as patio room extension. The also used 1350 sqft comps. The reason given is that the foundation for extension is poured concrete Vs post & pier.

Will this be an issue when i sell the house ? Should I really be comparing this house (in terms of comps etc) to 1350 sqft houses or 1600 sqft houses or in between for apple to apple comparison? Zillow etc is using county records 1600 sqft for estimate. Am I paying too much ? (plz, no flame about accuracy of zillow; just mentioned it for sqft use)

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Realtor, ,
Thu Mar 13, 2008
If the house is already at 1600 square feet and there are valid permits, I'm not sure why the appraiser wouldn't count that as living space. If there are permits, then the current seller can legally sell it for 1600 square feet. and it should be compared to other homes with the same square footage. Have you checked the city planning department to make sure that the additional room added was given final approval?
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more