Stacy Galvan, Home Buyer in Lubbock, TX

What's the first step to take in buying a new home?

Asked by Stacy Galvan, Lubbock, TX Sun May 19, 2013

My family and I just moved to lubbock and we are looking to buy a home as soon as possible. We just dont know where to start the process. We are open to building one as well. We also are needing to sell our house in Hobbs. Please, any tips on who to go to and what questions to start asking, what to research as well. I just dont know the first step to take. Thank you!

Answers

8
Good morning Smgalvan04,

First steps:

Meet with a Local Mortgage Banker to get prequalified for mortgage financing. The Mortgage Banker will review all facets of your loan request to answer your questions with regards to the types of loans and maximum loan amounts you could qualify for.

Line up a Home Inspector. A good home inspector will scare the heck out of you: that's what you pay him for! But you'll concentrate on the fundamentals of the property: roof free of leaks, plumbing, heating and electrical up to code and in good working order. Again, when you make an offer and you have your Home Inspector ready to go, your offer will be considered with much more interest by a Seller because you truly have your "ducks in a row" and your preparation demonstrates your serious attitude about conducting the purchase transaction in a timely manner.

Find an experienced Local Realtor who works in your desired shopping area. A serious pro Realtor will refuse to show you homes until you are Prequalified for mortgage financing. Don't take offense! That Realtor doesn't want you to be disappointed and wants you to have a smooth experience as you shop for your new home.

Put together your Team of real estate professionals and shop 'til you drop!

Trevor Curran

*If you thought my answer was helpful, please give me a “Thumbs Up” or “Best Answer.” Thanks!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon May 20, 2013

My name is Nicole Noseff with RE/MAX Lubbock. The first step is to contact a mortage lender. I can give you names and numbers if you would like. You can call me at 806-544-3143 or email me at nicolenoseff@remaxlubbock.com and I would be happy to answer any questions you have and guide you through. I am actually from Hobbs and visit family and friends often. I can help guide you with selling your home there as well, if needed.
Let me know if I can be of any help.
Have a great day!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon May 20, 2013
Thank you all for your very helpful answers. I am going to get with my husband asap to discuss going to get prequalified. At the moment we are renting a house for 400 more than our mortgage is, so it's a lot like we have 2 mortgages already. Our lease is up in 8 months but if we are lucky enough to get into a new home sooner, we will discuss it with our landlord. My 4 year old son turned out to have a severe cat allergy and the landlord lived here with a cat, and despite deep cleaning and proffessional air duct cleaners, hepa filters and all, he has developed asthma attacks and is on breathing treatments twice a day as well as other meds. So you can see we have quite an urgent situation. Thanks again and if anyone has any more tips please do keep them coming. I can use all the knowledge my poor overwhelmed brain can handle lol :)
So sorry...hope you can get to a better place soon. My son had severe asthma when he was small and I KNOW how scary that can be. An easy way to just stay connected until you are ready to really get busy looking for a home is to LIKE my facebook business page at Mary Benton, REALTOR. Take care.
Flag Mon May 20, 2013
Great answers below...
1. Talk with a mortgage lender and see if you need to sell first or if you can buy without selling.
2. Family discussion if you can buy two homes, if that is something you really want to do.
3. If it is, move forward with the search....for a new home with a great realtor or have them help
you build a new one.
4. If you only want to be obligated to one home at a time, get the one in Hobbs under contract, then start looking with a great realtor.

If you need a referral to a great realtor or loan officer in Lubbock or Hobbs kindly send me a note and we'll get you connected.
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
Here are a few 'firsts' but please call me to visit about your plans.

First, talk to a lender to see if your Hobbs home will have to sell before you can buy your Lubbock home? For most people in your situation they will need to sell there in order to buy here...but that isn't always the case. I can help you find a great agent to put to work getting your Hobbs home sold. You can just reach out to the lender of your choosing or I can give you three referrals - all great local home loan professionals who will assist you. Your lender will crunch the numbers to help you decide how much you can spend on a new home and that will be a key factor in your home search.

Also first, find a good REALTOR, who can help you find your perfect home in Lubbock. While they are good resources, sites like Trulia and Zillow are often not as current as Lubbock's MLS - which is where I will be scouting for homes that fit your needs. Save time and enormous hassle by choosing a REALTOR early on who understands your needs, is easy to communicate with, and who can show you any home listed for sale by any brokerage in the Lubbock area.

Call, text, or email me if you'd like more information or some referrals. And welcome to Lubbock!

Mary Benton, REALTOR
806 790 1026
In your specific case as you need to sell your home, the first step is to speak with a mortgage lender and see if you qualify for a home mortgage without first selling your home. If you do, then you need to decide if you're comfortable doing this as you could possibly end up with two mortgages for some period of time. If you need or prefer to sell before buying then you need to find a Realtor to get it sold for you.

While that's going on you'll want to start working with a Buyer Broker in Lubbock to begin learning the market there and figuring out what it is you want to buy next.

Here are two links you may find useful.

http://nchomesbylarryt.com/2011/02/22/insider-secrets-for-th…
These are ideas it not always done this perfect, but you need a lot of this done for it to work.

The fist step is to make sure that you are in a financial position to buy a home. That means making sure you dont have delinquencies on your credit report and making sure you have money saved up to make a down payment and pay closing cost. You should be able to afford at least 10% down if you are well qualified 3% if you are just starting out in life.

Next shop for a mortgage, get pre approved for a mortgage so you will have the funding to actually purchase a home once you find that perfect one.

With your pre approval in hand you contact a spectacular buyers agent like me. Don't go all crazy calling the all the listing agents signs in every neighborhood you are just going to frustrate yourself and a bunch of agents trying to get in I look at houses.

We will help you set a realistic price range and feed you properties that match the style and location where you want to buy.

Once you pick your dream home we will walk you through the process and coordinate everything all the way till you get the keys at closing.

Good Luck on your trek to homeownership. We are here as a resource when you need help.

Chris Hutchinson
REALTOR®
The Michael Group
972.809.0607
http://www.chrishutchinsonrealestate.com
Hello, first thing visit with a mortgage loan officer to see where you or whoever will apply for a loan to find out your capacity to get a loan and how much and what program. Feel free to call me 806-577-6674for any questions I am a Mortgage Broker nmls# 899535 and a Realtor