Andi Muskaj, Real Estate Pro in New York, NY

What's the best place to live in the city for a young professional?

Asked by Andi Muskaj, New York, NY Tue Dec 10, 2013

FIDI is a great location if you are a financial professional, no question. It does get a bit lonely there as it empties out at the end of the work day. Battery Park City has great proximity and a neighborhood feel to an extent.

For all I know you might be an young professional Artist in which case, Chelsea might be a better atmosphere. There may not be as many subway lines but Manhattan is easy to get around in. Greenwich Village may offer you the best of both Worlds. Great Architecture, Restaurants and that fantastic funky intangible thing that the Village has. Clubs on Bleeker St. and NYU near Washington Square Park.

Bottom line, there are so many fantastic neighborhood and just as many reasons to choose one neighborhood or another. It really depends on what works for you.
This should be on a blog not Q&A.

Tom Brady SFR, e-PRO, SRES, BPOR
Licensed Associate Broker
Notary Public, Retired N.Y.P.D. Lt.
#1 Listing & Selling Office on Long Island
Charles Rutenberg Realty, Inc.
255 Executive Drive - Suite 208
Plainview, New York 11803
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 17, 2013
I like the Upper West Side... if you are not familiar with the UWS, I'll show you around.

Bill Hanley
Citi Habitats
(917) 412-6248
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 10, 2013
Financial District is becoming ever popular for the suburbanites who are young professionals. It just so happens that this attraction happens because you get more bang for your buck in terms of space, amenities & rent / sales prices. I would love to entertain a tour of the neighborhood as this is my specialty & introduce you to the real estate this neighborhood has to offer.

Did I mention the proximity to 5 different express subway lines which circumvent the entire city...you will find that you don't have to take gym clothes to the office any longer as it is super convenient to head home in between.

Joshua Wall
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
49 Bleecker St, 2nd Floor
m: +1.917.744.7122
e: jw@novointernational.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 10, 2013
Every area of the city offers different experiences. Visit different sections, walk around and soak in the atmosphere and see what feels right. No one can really answer this question for you.
Andi - see what is happening? - all the agents responding have done so because they think you're a buyer, who is asking this question, and are responding to your post in that manner.

It isn't clear (to them) that you're an agent (unless they bother to click on your profile like I did) so questions like this are, imo, misleading.

Since Trulia's Q&A section is really meant for genuine questions seeking genuine answers - not discussion starters - I have a suggestion.......................if you're going to try to stretch that a bit, I think you need to make it clear - identify who you are - and that you are not looking to move to NYC, nor do you personally need anyone's advice!

Just my 2 cents, as I don't like to see other agents made to look foolish (even though I know it wasn't your intent).
Hey, don't forget the joys of commuting! Back in the olden days when I lived in NY, I commuted on the NY Central down to Grand Central, and my dad before me. You can get so much more house for the money in the suburbs and I don't know if they still have the "bar car" in the train for a nice gin and tonic and the time to relax and read the newspaper. Often used to hit all the art shows up around Columbus circle and wait for the crowds to disappear. Where I lived in Bronxville, there were many executives living there, so you might have a chance to travel and network with some interesting folks!
Downtown is extremely popular with many professionals, TriBeCa, SOHO! The Village, East or West
It is a lot of fun. One area which is the center of Manhattan can lead you to any of these area, Union Square... It all depends where you wish to live and play... You can feel most comfortablein each corner of The city. But again, you can stay young for ever in Manhattan, nothing like the energy and nothing like life in most every corner...
Good luck! and welcome eto Manhattan...
Fern Hamberger
Lic Asso Real Estate Broker
He is an agent in Manhattan! He isn't moving there!
Flag Tue Dec 10, 2013
Yooo hooo - Everyone - look at Andi's profile - just so you know - Andi IS an agent (he's out there "pounding the pavement of Manhattan", or so it says on his profile)..... doubt he needs advice........in fact, Andi, can't you answer your own question?
Thanks for the response Debbie! I though it would be a great conversation to start! I would love to have your opinion!

Flag Tue Dec 10, 2013