What's the average time for a home to be on the market before a sale?

Asked by Tony, Williston Park, NY Mon Aug 2, 2010

Answers

6
Cristina Cal…, Agent, Woodbury, NY
Thu Oct 17, 2013
While this answer varies from neighborhood to neighborhood an average overall timeframe for Long Island is approximately 90 days. If the home is in very good condition and is priced fairly this timeframe will be much shorter. However, if the home is overpriced it could take much longer, or even more likely wind up as an Expired Listing.
Nina Harris, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Wed Nov 16, 2011
The #1 reason a house stays on the market for a long time is due to pricing. If it is not priced in the ball park of what similar homes (size/condition, etc.) it will sit and could stay on the market for years. If it is priced correctly, it will normally sell within a few months.
Robin Silver…, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Garden City, NY
Tue Aug 3, 2010
Tony, this will depend on which school district the house is in, and what your price range is. Also, are you really talking about East Williston, which is a different village but uses the same zip code as Williston Park? Feel free to contact me about the area if you would like. My family had a business in Williston Park for over 30 years, and I live near there myself.
Ralph Windsc…, Agent, Hauppauge, NY
Tue Aug 3, 2010
Hey Tony,
The typical rule of thumb is if a house is priced properly and marketed effectively you should get 10 showings and at least 1 offer within the first 4-6 weeks. The hardest part right now is to get homeowners to price their homes at a price that will bring the buyers. The typical "I'm not giving my house away" is something we hear often. It's very difficult right now for many homeowners to come to grips with the fact that the prices have dropped so dramatically since 2006. They feel they've lost money. However, you can't lose what you never had. Also, if you would have sold for a higher price in 2006, anything you would have purchased would have also been very high. Sell high, but high. Sell low, buy low.

I assume from your name heading that you live in Williston Park. Since January 1, 2010, 38 homes have closed in Williston Park. The averages sales price was about $500K and the average days on the market for those homes as about 3 months. Right now, there are only 27 active listings in Williston Park. Right now, it appears that the absorbtion rate in Williston Park is about 5-6 months. That means if no one else puts their house on the market, it will take 5-6 months to sell every listng.

I would be pleased to perform a market analysis on your home. Please feel free to contact me to set up an appointment.

Ralph Windschuh
Associate Broker
Senior Real Estate Specialist
Certified Buyer Representative
Century 21 Princeton Properties
631-467-0009
rwindschuh@c21princetonproperties.com
In the Top 2% of Century 21 Agents Nationwide!
Kamal Salim, Agent, Davie, FL
Mon Aug 2, 2010
This is actually so different from state to state, county to county and even specific cities ina county could vary dramatically. last month for example, the home inventory for Broward County, South East Florida was 7.3 months worth of inventory, and yet, the city of Weston within that same county has an inventory of 3.2 months only. So, you may want to ask your agent to pull that information for you
Web Reference:  http://www.kamalsalim.com
Ryan Smith, Agent, Murrieta, CA
Mon Aug 2, 2010
Hi Tony,

The amount of time a home is on the market will vary from market to market depending on local conditions and how desirable or undesirable the property maybe. Contact a local Realtor in your area and he can give you the average statistics. There are many good Realtors on this website for your area, just type it in the top box where it says city and state.