Home Buying in Fort Myers>Question Details

tr, Home Buyer in 64057

What questions should I ask a agent when interviewing for a buyer agent in the fort myers area.?

Asked by tr, 64057 Thu Jul 8, 2010

Answers

10
Every agent will tell you to ask the questions that they're already good at answering; for example, I think you should ask an agent who trims his beard and where he gets his eyeglasses (because, as you see, I have a beard and wear glasses . . .)

However. The best questions to ask are the ones for which the answers are most important to you. Most people would like to know that their agent has time for them, has sufficient knowledge to help them find the best property for them, and that their agent actually believes that they can find a suitable property in the buyer's price range!

As for all the other possibilities I've heard proffered - web presence, experience, having a team or not, being with a big company or small, being a top producer or a selective practitioner - ultimately, what's important to you may not be important to other buyers.

I firmly believe that great clients make great agents, and that the best agents have a sufficient repertoire of skills that they use, selectively, for each individual client's needs.

Hope this helps,
First and foremost make sure you like each other since you will be spending some time together. Interview two-three agencies and don’t be too concerned as to their locations; sometimes a local broker is no more skilled than one outside your area. Ask about scheduling around your needs, who will choose the properties to be seen, can you expect updates on new listings and recently sold properties, and how often will communication occur, etc. Ask about current sales in your areas of interest, negotiating strategies, etc.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 8, 2010
tr

Great Question!

I am a 13 year veteran real estate agent. If I were you I would want to ask the questions listed below, but you should really take a bit of time and make sure you get good vibes from whomever you decide to work with. You also need an agant that is homest enough to tell you "no" when the answer is no. Does he or she listen to you? Do they understand what you are looking for? This is an important realtionship and like any other, you need to kind of feel each other out before you go forward. Check FREC for complaints against the agent.
You always want a win-win deal. Can you agent put ninety cents out of a dollar in your pocket and make the other side feel good about the dime they received?
I can!

Also, you get what you pay for so keep your eye on the prize.

1 How long in the business?
2 Computer savy?
3 Connected to related services? (insurance, inspectors etc).
4 Volume of business on average.
5 Is this a job or a business attitude
6 Is the agent a REALTOR?

I am happy to chat with you on this or any other real estate matter if you deem appropriate.

Call me at 239-246-6639 or e-mail me at kevin@kevincloutier.com

Thank you and good luck!

Kevin Cloutier, Realtor
Residential & Commercial
Southern Premier Realty
1716 Cape Coral Pkwy W
Cape Coral, FL 33914
First, before anything else.........ask if they work weekends and have a cell phone that is turned on till at least 9:00 P.M.!
Hello tr,
I am thrilled that you are interested in getting in on the investment property at the best prices in the last 28 years that I have lived here. Most of my clients, like yourself are from out of the state and are very skeptical of this market and how they will be able to manage a purchase long distance. That's were I come in. The first step is having that easy feeling that I would be watching out for your best interest with due diligence in every aspect of the negotiation process. I will set you up with your private access to the Florida Gulfcoast MLS with your own password. You will be sent daily updates and my recommendations to your search criteria and be able to send me messages. That leads to the next step: Having easy access to the product and hands on with your agent. My clients know that when they call me I will take time with them as their questions arise and when action needs to be taken quick I am a phone call or text message away. The next question would be regarding your time frame and making sure your agent is available to show property and at what length are they willing to go to find you the best property that meets your buying criteria at the best price within the guidelines you set up. Some of my clients have given me weeks in advance notice and some I have taken them out the same day they called and said they were in town. When I have your time then you have my time no matter if you want to look at 5 or 15 in a day. Some agents will limit your viewing to 3 or 4 homes and expect you to know what area you want your next dream home to be in.

Most importantly you need an agent that isn't loaded down with dozens of foreclosures and short sales that will keep he or she so wrapped that your buying needs are over looked or they push what they have to sell onto you, bypassing some of the other terrific bargains to be had in SW Florida. That is why I make the entire MLS available to you at http://www.swfloridahomebuyer.listingbook.com.

It is now your move into the direction of home shopping with the right agent and the best test now is to call a few and see if they answer their phone. I trueIy hope you will find the right realtor that is willing to give you honest advice treating your purchase as if it were their own.

I would be pleased to tell you about some of my experiences with foreclosures and short sales and how I have hand-held them to closing for my clients as far away as Germany, Tel Aviv, Iowa City, Rochester NY, Missouri, Wisconsin and Michigan.

The realtors job is to put your mind at ease so that this is a great experience and you don't have to worry about all the details. In other words, "they've got your back".

Sarah Garrett, Realtor
ALLIANCE REALTY GROUP
"Chosen Best in Client Satisfaction" by Gulfshore Life Magazine 2006-2010
Email: sarahgarrett@argfl.com
Hi, Tara! Great answers so far! You should consider what matters most to YOU! There may be a Realtor out there with 30+ years experience, but if "the fit" isn't there, than nothing else matters. You could find the most experienced, tested, tried and true Agent out there - but if they "do nothing" for you........well, it's kind of like dating. Believe it or not, you're going to be spending a substantial amount of time together! Getting along and "fitting" really does count! It matters a lot! Best of luck to YOU, and - feel free to give me a hollar if I can help you. I really do answer my phone, AND return calls! Buying your new home should be more than that - it should be An Experience! I Hope You Enjoy Yours! With Smiles, Holly Quesinberry 239-246-0442
Tara: The other agents have provided you many good answers. Thus, I cannot add to the venue. There are many top agents in the area ready to assist. I would just talk with them and see who you bond with. That is very important in my opinion. You need to connect personally with the agent you are working with.

Chris
Web Reference: http://www.spinarealty.com
Ask about their experience, knowledge of the area, what tools they will use to help you find the perfect home. Talk with them (hopefully me) about how you prefer to communicate, phone, in person, e-mail, etc. Get on the same page regarding your time frame, etc.
I would love to talk with you about how I can help. I have lived in Ft Myers since '96 and have been a full time agent since 2002. Give me a call and lets see if we can work well together.
Marge Bennett
Sellstate Achievers
239-560-4159
Marge@MargeBennett.com
Well said Mack! I agree with everything you said. I have lived in Lee County for over 20 years and know the area extremely well and would be happy to answer any questions regarding our area. Terry McCarley - Remax Realty Team. Email: leecountyrealtor@earthlink.net - cell: 239-707-4575
You need to make sure they are going to communicate with you and work hard. Their knowledge of the area will be key as they will be guiding you throughout and their ability to negotiate and help you bring the deal together with acceptable terms to you. Picking the agent will be very important in this environment with regular/short/foreclosure sales......they will need to know what they are doing or else you will be running around in circles for months on end. Good luck and let us know if we can help.

jessemcgreevy@gmail.com
239-898-5329