What qualities should I look for in a good Realtor to help me buy a house?

Asked by Arthur Doyle, Eugene, OR Fri Nov 5, 2010

Answers

10
June Lizotte,…, , Portland, OR
Fri Nov 5, 2010
Over the years I have found that all buyers are concerned that they have someone who is dedicated to putting 100% effort and integrity into the services they offer. I have developed a series of questions I ask agents to whom I am referring a client to in another region. If they answer the questions satisfactorily they are considered for the referral to my customer who is needing to buy or sell in a region that I don't serve. This has helped clients to have confidence in the one (s) they eventually speak to. The ultimate decision is the client's, but if they know the only agents they must speak to and decide upon are those who have been pre-screened, who have great customer service; they can then rest assured their best interests are being considered above all else.

If you would like help in finding an agent I would love to help you by performing this pre-screening service and submitting to you the names of the best agents in your area for your consideration.

June Lizotte, Princiapl Broker
June Lizotte Real Estate
Providing REAL Service
503-310-8032
Offering Nationwide Referrals- The Best Agents to Serve You!
Web Reference:  http://www.junelizotte.com
Mack McCoy, Agent, Seattle, WA
Fri Nov 5, 2010
What's important to one person, Arthur, may not be of interest to another.

I suggest you look at your relationship with a Realtor(r) as a partnership, and choose according to your needs and desires, and the agent's ability to satisfy them.

Dohn Riley, Agent, Eugene, OR
Fri Nov 5, 2010
In addition to the obvious qualities of honesty and knowledge, it is important to find someone who listens carefully to you and can explain the process of buying a home clearly and understandably. The first time buying a home is a learning experience and a complicated one. This is usually one of the largest purchases a person makes in his lifetime, so it is important to have quality assistance and guidance. In addition to being able to explain the process clearly, it is important to find a Realtor who is not just a "salesman." By this I mean someone who will have your best interests in mind not their commission. If you find a Realtor who only points out the positive aspects of a home and glosses over the problems, or continually tries to overcome the issues you see in a home, then you have a salesman.

There are several times when you will be spending money when you purchase a home. One is a whole house inspection. This will cost $375+. If your Realtor is alert and informed, he may be able to point out that the roof is soon going to need to be replaced or that there are some worrisome cracks in the foundation or that water has been pooling next to the foundation for years, etc. This information may save you from spending money on the inspection only to find that the home has too many issues for it to be desirable to you. Take care, Dohn Riley
Dohn, I'm happy you brought up the above points. I have had 5 agents in Eugene, Or. None of them seem to listen to what I want in a condo. The main issue is the area in which I want to buy. They also treat me like an idiot when I point out problems with the condo (eg cracks in the walls and sinks that are rusted). I have also had an agent that refused to place a bid because it was too low and would sulley her reputation as an agent. HELP.
Flag Thu Oct 22, 2015
Kathy Sears, Agent, Bronston, KY
Fri Nov 5, 2010
Arthur, trust and confidence is everything when you are purchasing a home in an area that you are unfamiliar with. You completely have to rely on the knowledge and expertise of the professional you choose to work with. Having said that, as mentioned by several others, honesty & integrity, are at the top of the list. To go along with that they need to be knowledgeable of the area and the entire home-buying process, they need to be a successful negotiater, and it really helps that they are hard-working and available most of the time. However, in every area there are always good agents who display most of these desirable characteristics...
Dave Sutton, Agent, Portland, OR
Fri Nov 5, 2010
Here are three blog posts that will hopefully help you with your process

1) Why Choose Realtor Dave over Realtor Sam or Realtor Susan (not a sales pitch for me, but advice on choosing)
http://www.trulia.com/blog/dave_sutton_windermere_walnut_cre…

2) How many homes should you look at before you buy?

3) The veery first step in buying a home is not to look on line and here's why.
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Fri Nov 5, 2010
Consider interviewing in person as many agents as needed form different realty offices, and choose the one you like best, as different qualities will show during the interviewing process--ask about scheduling around your needs, who will choose the properties to be seen, can you expect updates on new listings and recently sold properties, and how often will communication occur, etc. Ask about current sales in your areas of interest, negotiating strategies, etc.; The answers to such questions should determine whether you should enter into a business relationship with an individual broker--do make sure you like each other as you will be spending some time together, also make sure you are both good listeners, as communication is key in establishing any good relationship.
KayDee Halle…, Agent, Eugene, OR
Fri Nov 5, 2010
Hi Arthur,

I would look for a realtor who has experience, honesty, oganizational skills and someone who works full time and knows the market. You may be in a car for long periods of time while out looking at house, so finding an agent you enjoy talking to is important too!

Best of luck!

KayDee Hallert
Dave Griswol…, Agent, Bridgewater, NJ
Fri Nov 5, 2010
HI Arthur, We'd have to say, Straight forwardness, knowledge,experience,honesty,full time agents and comfort. You want to be comfortable talking to your Realtor.

All the Best
Dave & Lisa
Web Reference:  http://www.urhomerealty.net
David Chiles, Other Pro, Los Angeles, CA
Fri Nov 5, 2010
Thank you for your question about hiring a good real estate agent. I have to defer to the Trulia Guide on the subject, http://www.trulia.com/guide/home_buying/build_the_right_team…
Gerard Dunn, Agent, Chevy Chase, MD
Fri Nov 5, 2010
HONESTY

HONESTY

HONESTY

Market Knowledge, Experience, Integrity and Technical Ability

Gerry Dunn
Associate Broker
Serving MD, VA and D.C.
301-651-8600