What percentage of people buying find their information in local newspapers?

Asked by Jennifer Evans, Galesburg, IL Thu May 19, 2011

Answers

3
David Burnham, , Washington, DC
Fri May 20, 2011
NAR does an annual survey. In 2009, 2% found their home from print ads. I believe this was reduced to 1% in 2010.

I stopped running open house ads in papers because I found that no one at my open houses ever said they found it in the paper. I am sure that it depends on the location and the target audience. I suspect that newspaper ads are big with a few segments of the market.
Marge Bennett, Agent, Fort Myers, FL
Fri May 20, 2011
I had someone come to an open house because of an ad in the paper.
Mikel DeFran…, Agent, Canton, MA
Sun Aug 28, 2011
Browsers who are sifting through all the sections of the daily paper.. some
True, qualified buyers = 0%

If you were making such an important purchase, would you search via a few abbreviated text lines in the paper, or online where you can search, sort, view photos, virtual tours, maps etc at no cost?
and before it comes up... I know not every person in the U.S. has internet access, but in the very, very low probability scenario that someone searching for a home does not.. that is what family and Realtors are for.

You will note.. the comment below refers to an open house visit, not a buyer, which is consistent with the theme that those looking through the paper are casual browsers.
Web Reference:  http://www.SuccessInMass.com