What part of Freeport is a good area to buy?

Asked by pat, Freeport, IL Mon Feb 20, 2012

I grew up on So.Carroll St. and love the historical older homes, but I have heard that areas are getting somewhat run down. I was looking for something under $100,000 to rent out for the time being but possibly re-locating when we retire. Your thoughts as to the best location to buy in Freeport?

Answers

8
tina232910, Home Buyer, Winnebago, IL
Sat Jan 5, 2013
Just north of bypass in freeport ....great neighborhood behind the Kent Bank off of Hwy 26. Lynn Ave, Chelsea Ave, Chelsea court area.
Mark S Conne…, , Freeport, IL
Tue Feb 21, 2012
I am an inspector not a realtor in the freeport area so my answer is a little easier to give freeport has some of the best parks in the state and the neighborhoods close to those parks are very nice along with the fact those parks have great things to do that would be close
Aubra Palermo, Agent, Freeport, IL
Mon Feb 20, 2012
Hi Pat,

Tour the homes and neighborhoods available in your desired price range, then you can get a better feel for what area you want to live in. Here is a link to all available homes from $50,000 to $100,000 (75 for sale, gives you quite a few options)... http://freeport.fnismls.com/publink/default.aspx?GUID=986bea…
Aubra
Lisa Radke, Agent, Freeport, IL
Mon Feb 20, 2012
Hello Pat. Terry gave you about the best answer you are going to get in terms of locations. We are bound by license law to have YOU tell US where you want to look. There are a lot of great homes in Freeport under $100,000. The best I could offer would be to pull listings in your price range and send them to you so you could take a look for yourself.
Terry Farnsw…, Agent, Lisle, IL
Mon Feb 20, 2012
Hi Pat -

You most likely aren't going to get an answer from any licensed Realtors on this one. Answering this "could" be construed as "steering" - and it's illegal for agents/brokers to advise on this. The "best" location is really personal preference.........and what is "run-down" is really subjective. My advice would be to contact the local police department for updated crime information/statistics - and/or, knock on a couple doors near the property and ask the neighbors their opinion. Hope that helps!
janc, Home Buyer, Freeport, IL
Wed Apr 2, 2014
I wouldn't invest a penny in any part of Freeport. it gets worse and worse. I have lost a lot with property values plummeting and trying to find rentors with jobs. sorry, but its the fact.
Johnnie Zimm…, , Cleveland, OH
Sun Mar 24, 2013
I had lived in in Freeport for several years moving there in my mid forty's and I liked it very much. It's very small and still has some shopping near by. The sad thing I have seen is they are down to 1 Wendys from 2, 1 Burger King from 2, Hardys is gone, Kmart is now gone,they had built a Sonic and they're gone after about a year in business. Plant closings. Freeport is a shell of what it once was. It's a shame I really liked Freeport. Now the reason I mentioned the above restaurants is not to belittle them but to make a point that if any business survives it's them and when you see them go that's a sign. Now the the reason I'm gone from Freeport is My my taxes went from $1200. a year which is to much for the area and by the way my house was a block from Carroll and a block from Empire, is because from $1200. a year taxes to $3000. No to hell with Freeport. I moved to an eastern suburb of Cleveland, paid one third less for my house that would be a good hundred thousand dollars more in Freeport and my taxes are $2000 a year. If you want a good area of Freeport rule of thumb is west of west street. Don't go by the pictures of houses the realtors have, they spruce up the houses to sell them after all that is their job to sell the property. If you can't go by the house and see for yourself right away then go to google maps street view. Living in Freeport was a wonderful part of my life but I will not pay that kind of taxes for that kind of housing.
Thank you good to know about the taxes. I too thought they were way too high for the area and Illinois in general is a poorly run state. I think we have given up on the whole idea of moving back 'home'.
Flag Sun Mar 24, 2013
Gary, Home Buyer, Illinois
Thu Apr 26, 2012
I was in Freeport reciently looking for a home and ran into a mailman. What a great person to ask about the neighborhood. The mailman is there everyday and gve me a rundown on hte neighborhood. In general Freeport is a fairly good safe town. I was looking around high and galena and it seemed ok. But, as the economy tightens the desperatos will be everywhere. So, in my opinion Freeport isn't perfect but it is not all that bad . . . GARY