What other expenses are there when owning a 'wet' boatslip other than the purchase price? Are there marina dues similar to HOA dues? Insurance?

Asked by Jetspeedv, Wilmington, NC Mon Mar 25, 2013

Any idea of the avg dues if any? I see slips for rent fairly cheap but buying wet or dry slips pretty expensive. Wondering what the benefit of owning is?

Answers

3
Ian Rosenbaum, Agent, Wilmington, NC
Mon Mar 25, 2013
You will have marina dues that range from around a $150 per month up to several hundred a month depending on the marina, the size of the slip and the amenities that are offered by the facility. You will usually have these fees for a dry slip as well. If you keep your boat in the water you will be able to come and go as you please but will have to plan on bottom painting it regularly. If your boat is large enough and you have a wet slip you can use and finance your boat as a 2nd home. There are also different types of ownership, deeded slips, assigned slips and certificate slips. There are more than 100 boat slips currently available for purchase in the MLS. If you would like me to send you a list of them please contact me. Slips are most expensive around Wrightsville Beach and prices tend to decrease as you go further north or south with some of the most affordable slips currently for sale in Carolina Beach.
Jetspeedv, Home Buyer, Wilmington, NC
Mon Mar 25, 2013
They are listed for sale Ron......and I'm not trying buy a boat. Thanks Kraig a helpful reply from a local.
BTW, the fees will vary by facility, location, and amenities (if any). I have slips listed for sale and can identify other options if you decide to explore pricing and locations.
Flag Mon Mar 25, 2013
Kraig Marquis, Agent, Wilmington, NC
Mon Mar 25, 2013
One of the most important aspects of ownership is that you never have to worry if you will have a slip in the future. Another feature of ownership over leasing is the potential for appreciation over time. Ownership, however, still comes with exenses above and beyond purcahse price - maintenance fees, insurance, property taxes, etc. If you know you will be an active boater for years to come, owning a slip may be a great option. There are some values, even foreclosures, you can take advantage of right now. Please let me know if I can help in any way.