What kind of snakes and spiders are in this area and are the mosquitos very bad here. Are the residents local people or people from other areas.?

Asked by Dennis, Coulwood West, Charlotte, NC Sat Jul 28, 2012

Answers

4
Elaine Isenberg’s answer
Elaine Isenb…, Renter, Charlotte, NC
Fri Aug 10, 2012
I've been here six years and haven't seen a snake. Spiders are common everywhere. This isn't near a major body of water which tends to increase spiders. I haven't noticed a problem with them. The residents here seem to be from all over, but the older residents have been here since the 60s. Nice community.
Dianne Thomas, , Charlotte, NC
Sat Aug 4, 2012
When buying a house anywhere, do a thorough check of the property. My house backs up to wetlands (read, "spiders, snakes") but I knew that when I bought it and have had no trouble managing both. But a prospective neighbor was considering putting an offer on the house and she mentioned the back yard would be a great place for her new baby to play...I mentioned the critters that live there, and she wisely decided to buy elsewhere. The final buyer didn't take into consideration the down side that comes with the upside (wildlife, privacy) and I RARELY see them in their back yard...In the city of Charlotte, the city will spray mosquito prone areas upon request. You can also get a mosquito service. "Bad" snakes have pretty much been eradicated -- leave the black snakes alone, as they will keep the "bad" snakes and rodent population under control. Spiders -- tons of black widows, nothing you can do about them except be careful -- check garden gloves, shoes, anything stored in garage or outside before putting on...
Susan Zongker, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Sat Jul 28, 2012
Remember the song, "I don't like spiders and snakes . . . "? Yes, we do have them but they mostly keep to themselves unless provoked. This year as been especially bad with insects since our winter was very mild last year. Hopefully we'll see some colder weather and perhaps a nice snowfall next winter. In regards to your other question about local people, it gets harder and harder to find a true Charlottean. We're quite a mix of locals and transplants. You'll find most people are very friendly and helpful. In some of the smaller outlying towns, people will waive at you whether they know you or not when you pass them.

Daniel Fisher, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Sat Jul 28, 2012
Good afternoon, Dennis:
I don't know of any Charlotte areas where everyone is local. There is a nice blend of people from all over in this area. For people who are concerned about spiders and mosquitoes, a pest control company can do a nuisance spray. The black rat snakes seem to be most common, but I have not seen one for a long time. If you appreciate an answer, please give "thumbs up". For the most helpful answer, please say thanks with a "best answer" click.