What is your opinion of Real Estate Professionals based on your buying and selling experiences?

Asked by Lisa Thorik Team, San Diego, CA Sun Sep 26, 2010

We need your feedback to keep the bar high! Tell me what's quality and skills are most important; honesty, communication, experience, designations and awards, who referred them, negotiating, etc, and especially how your overall transactions went.
Please include how you felt; frustrated, angry, excited, etc.
How can we do better? Please give at least one suggestion of an area for improvement.
Thanks for taking the time.
Lisa

Answers

5
Joe Nernberg, , Calabasas, CA
Sun Sep 26, 2010
A northern California home inspector posted this a few years ago. It's a little forward and maybe it could have been written better, but I cannot completely disagree with the content:

1. When I arrive on-site, I’m in charge. The buyer is no longer your client; he/she is mine until the inspection is over. Don’t presume to think otherwise. I appreciate the fact that you refer buyers to me, but don’t expect my appreciation to mean I have a ring in my nose and will allow you to manipulate me. I don’t think of you as a “referral customer” – I think of you as a professional real estate agent who should understand that as a professional, I am to be left alone to do my thing with “my client”. If you can’t expect that, refer somebody else.

2. I don’t “handle” clients. Expect me to report every deficiency I find and to explain it plainly to “my client”. The report will be the same way. If the client begins to panic and shows signs of walking away from the deal, don’t expect me to be sympathetic to your plight and “sell” the issue to him/her by minimizing its importance and “putting it in perspective”. If you can’t accept that, refer somebody else.

3. Don’t ever try and put words in my mouth during one of my inspections or make statements like, “Well, I’ve been doing this for 20 years and so-and-so inspector, who I’ve worked with for most of the time, says this is nothing to be concerned about.”
Homertsimpson, , San Diego, CA
Sun Sep 26, 2010
Hello Lisa, I'd say showing up on time, being knowledgeable, prepare for your appointments properly, never try and sell someone but allow them to decide based on the relevant and quality information you provide them, and finally treat other's as you'd have them treat you; so of course you must be integral, honest, respectful, humble, charitable, and generally a person of honor concerned about helping your fellow man!

I hope this was helpful.
Web Reference:  http://www.HomeInfoToday.com
Philippe Hel…, Other Pro, Ramona, CA
Sun Sep 26, 2010
As an inspector, I see disappointment when expectations about a house are not properly set. Agents, please learn a little about houses! If your client is buying an old fixer, set their expectations correctly. Buyers are less likely to walk if they go to the inspection knowing that they may be in for some upgrades.
Web Reference:  http://www.sdinspections.com
Robert T. Bo…, , San Diego, CA
Sun Sep 26, 2010
Making sure there are no surprises. There is nothing more annoying than getting to the point where you are signing off on loan documents and you find all sorts of interesting escrow fees, pre-paids, junk-fees, etc. and feeling like you've been trapped. This can take an otherwise pleasant experience and flush it.
Constantine…, , San Diego, CA
Sun Sep 26, 2010
When we bought our house, the most important thing was availability. Other agents rarely picked up their phones. We liked being able to call anytime of the day an getting our agent on the phone.