Home Buying in Taunton>Question Details

Rehab Rita, Home Buyer in Taunton, MA

What is the story with 35 Short St in Taunton?

Asked by Rehab Rita, Taunton, MA Mon Feb 18, 2013

The agent doesn't list her phone # and if I fill out the online form I noticed a disclaimer that once I provide my phone number I am agreeing to be telemarketed forever, even prerecorded calls, even if my phone incur minutes (it does, and charges me 50 cents a call to retrieve voice mail messages) so I wouldn't sign.

It's not listed on MLS. I have gone by and the property is in disrepair and has had uncompleted work done on it. I always thought that was a nice neighborhood and the home nearby are well-kept but Trulia reports a lot of B&Es, and motor vehicle break-ins, plus malicious destruction and disturbance complaints.

Is there anyone nearby who knows some history here or can offer more insight to the neighborhood or house? I would be interested for the right price but no price is listed here, a little frustrating.

Jennifer Poillucci’s answer
This house on Short St is currently on the market for 169,999. If you are still interested in the home, please let me know and I will be happy to arrange a showing. If you are interested in rehab properties, you should consider having your own buyer's agent to keep an eye out for properties that may interest you or who you can call with any questions about properties that interest you. Contacting a listing agent directly about homes that interest you is fine but they are only protecting the seller and have no loyalty to you as you are not their client but just a customer. Please give me a call at 508-472-1057 or log on to my website http://www.JenSellsRE.com if you would like more information. Thanks.
HI Rita,

Unfortunately, some listings on sites like this one are more designed to get you to buy their "service" than to help you buy the property.
You can search the registry of deeds for foreclosure information if you know how and have the time.

I would contact a local real estate professional to save time and money.
(Not me, I'm on the Cape, but I can help you choose a local pro if you want help doing so.)

The listing professional for this listing was Realty Executives Metro South (508) 880-0900 Ext. 12 List Agent: John Hagberg.
However it went off the market in September 2011.
The current tax records indicate that Wells Fargo owns it and they bought it for $221,368 on 9/11/11.
You might try and get through to the Wells Fargo REO office and see who they plan to use for the sale.

(Please note: when you choose an answer as a Best Answer, or at least give a thumbs up, it helps those who answer questions here.)
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 27, 2013
Thank you, Heath! I did try the Wells Fargo site, they list an agent at "Town and Country" Realty which seems to have no Internet presence at all--no address or phone listed anywhere either--and it was the Well Fargo web site, not Trulia, that required a phone number to be contacted--along with that disclaimer that I was agreeing to be terminally telemarketed. I don't think Wells Fargo wants to sell this house very badly!

But thank you for pointing out that they may be more interested in selling me something besides this house!
Flag Wed Feb 27, 2013
Hi Debby, and everyone else, thank you for the info. I actually drove by it today and some other guy was looking at it, it's been badly vandalized--copper piping and wiring gone, woodstove gone, the first floor bathroom smashed. It has two kitchens, both of which need to be gutted. There is an addition put on that is unfinished and open to the outside...It sold in 2005 for $330,000 with six acres--nearly all wet, probably why the basement had a puddle. It can't get an occupancy permit on it in its state. I'd be afraid that as I repaired it, the vandals would come back and take it again. Be warned, this is a house for a cash buyer who will do most of the work himself.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 16, 2013
Hi Rita, the home just came back on the market for $169,900 with 6 acres. Originally in 2004 it was listed at $799,900 with 13 acres. The home is in need of repair and is bank owned.
Hi Rita,
you are correct in that this was on the market before. It was listed at 219K back in 4-11-11 and it went thru a range of price changes all the way down to 189,900 and then it the listing was cancelled. This was a short sale when it was listed but then the lender ended up taking it back in september 2012. The lender maybe in the process of getting BPOs and then selecting a real estate Broker to list the house.
I'd also suggest that you get your own buyer's agent to represent you, listing agents work for the seller, your agent does not cost you a dime and works for you and your best interest. Hope this helps info@wenrealty.com
Web Reference: http://wenrealty.com
Hi Yvonee,

Thank you, I did check the registry and found it was owned by Wells Fargo, but their web site does not list any price either. I don't know if I'm interested until I know the price. It was listed a year ago fo $189,000 and no one bought it, so I'm assuming the price will need to be much lower. If the listing agent posted a phone number anywhere I would call her.
Hello, This home is indeed listed on Wells Fargo REO website and it is not currently for sale. It is listed as "coming soon" and is currently waiting for a listing price. Wells Fargo will fix up houses to help them sell so it may be weeks to months according to my connection at Wells Fargo. I have these homes flagged so that my contact at Wells Fargo lets me know as soon as they are on the market. Then there is a process of listing it for the first 7 days without taking any offers, then they will take offers from owner occupants on days 8-12, then after that time period they will take all offers including investors. Hope that helps. Please let me know if you would like to be notified when it comes on the market. I would love to help you. Please give me a call with any questions at 508-472-1057
Flag Mon Feb 18, 2013
Bank owned. Not on the market as of today.
I will research this and get back to you.

Yvonne Thompson