What is the most difficult transaction you have had to date?

Asked by Ryan Heier, West Palm Beach, FL Sat Aug 23, 2014

Answers

5
Rebecca Marv…, Agent, Palmdale, CA
Sat Sep 27, 2014
I would say mostly I have had pretty good luck with my transactions but there have been many bad ones. It's too difficult to pick the "most" difficult but here are some that come to mind:

Two days before COE the water heater kind of "blew up" flooding a portion of the garage and kitchen (vacant house)

About a week before COE someone moved into the listing (vacant house) and claimed they were leasing the house. It wasn't the buyer who was in escrow -- it was someone who said that "Jose from craigslist gave them the keys". (this exact same thing has happened to me about 4-5 times)

During a 45 day escrow someone(s) broke into a gorgeous ranch (vacant house on 5 acres) and took the copper sink, all light fixtures (interior/exterior), all appliances (stainless), several of the interior doors and a wood burning stove. This occurred over a 2-3 weeks period until the buyer had their ranch hand start camping out at the property.

Again, vacant house - it wasn't in escrow but as a deal was being negotiated someone broke in and took ALL of the electric wiring -- and I mean they literally ripped the wiring right out of the drywall. They took the actual electric meter as well.
Annette Law…, Agent, Palm Harbor, FL
Sat Sep 27, 2014
The 'First One' of just about everything.

The most costly are the marginal buyers you burn through all your markers.

The most difficult are those with a swap mentality.

The most treacherous are cash buyers with 'Proof of Funds' from "Gringotts" Bank?

The most emotionally draining is selling the home of one who does not want to sell, but must. Both the buyer and seller were in tears.
Keri Sweetla…, Home Buyer, West Palm Beach, FL
Sat Sep 27, 2014
I often find that having the buyers and sellers sign at different times makes things MUCH easier. Buying and selling property is stressful. I suggest to my clients that they close independently at the time of first meeting. It is always still their choice but certainly much smoother. Emotions get high sometimes...someone feels they didn't get enough money or that they paid too much for something. They look to the professionals to help keep things calm and organized.
Gary Hitchco…, Agent, Coral Springs, FL
Sun Aug 24, 2014
In my very first real estate deal the attorney had to separate the buyer and seller into different rooms as the buyer was complaining about some inspection repair items. After 4 hours it got uncomfortable.
Tim Moore, Agent, Kitty Hawk, NC
Sat Aug 23, 2014
The ones that don't close.
Too funny, I have to agree had a few of them lately.
Flag Mon Aug 25, 2014