What is the fundamental difference between Lexington and Wellesley areas? They read quite similar to me but the medium home price is quite different?

Asked by Homebuyer, San Francisco, CA Mon Oct 1, 2012

Answers

6
Territory.com’s answer
Territory.c…, Agent, MA,
Tue Oct 9, 2012
School rankings
Location
Town amenities - (personal)
Proximity to Boston

Hope that helps!

Everything on the market in Wellesley:
http://territory.com/search?search_string=WELLESLEY&min_…

Everything on the market in Lexington:
http://territory.com/search?search_string=LEXINGTON&min_…

Territory.com
Massachusetts Premier Buyer Brokerage
Web Reference:  http://territory.com
HoTa, Both Buyer And Seller, Lexington, MA
Thu Oct 16, 2014
The fundamental difference which I believe drives a lot of the pricing disparities between these two towns is the access to public transportation into the city of Boston.

Wellesley has three commuter rail stops while Lexington has no real public transit options.

Wellesley also has a lot of "old money" and less ethnically diversity but I'm not sure if that drives the differences in home prices.
Manish Patwa…, Agent, burlington, MA
Thu Nov 14, 2013
Location as I see it from a Realtor's perspective.
Lexington - more central in terms of access to Route 95/Route 93/Route 3 and 2 to Cambridge and to Boston there on.
I live in Lexington - so maybe I have that bias.
Wellesley - Route 9 I have felt has traffic lights and bottle necks for commute.
Heath Coker, Agent, Falmouth, MA
Sat Oct 6, 2012
Taste.
Some will choose one and some the other.
Ask the chambers of commerce that question and see what they say are the real differences.

Wellesley has more of a college presence than Lexington, w/o a doubt.

(Please note: when you choose an answer as a Best Answer, or at least give a thumbs up, it helps those who answer questions here.)
Zelda Kohn, Agent, Pleasanton, CA
Mon Oct 1, 2012
The feel of the spaces and the zoning are somewhat different as each town has its own face and character. You really need to see it for yourself, drive around a bit, and you'd be able to see some of the difference yourself.

Both places are considered an excellent choice of community for families and some choose one over the other based on proximity to work and the time it takes to get there, considering specific routes and traffic patterns. Many buyers, however, who are likely to consider Lexington would also consider Wellesley and choose one or the other based on an individual property (its size, price, privacy, etc.) rather than town.
Louis Wolfs…, Agent, Needham, MA
Mon Oct 1, 2012
West of Boston is a better commute with more options. Wellesley being close to 128 aka (I 93/ I 95) Route 9, Mass Turnpike and Comm Ave. Also has Wellesley College, Babson College, Mass Bay

Love to show you around both communities as well as some of Boston other excellent ones based on your needs, Newton, Dover, Needham, Brookline, Weston