What is the difference in buying a house in Queens and in Nassau? How do the taxes work? And what are the 'village taxes'?

Asked by Geet Kaur, New York, NY Thu May 2, 2013

I've been told that buying a house in Nassau county isn't a good idea because the taxes are high plus there are village taxes that are even more. I need some advice on what's better and what's cheaper for me.

Answers

2
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Thu May 2, 2013
Keep in mind that opinions are oftentimes subjective, therefore buy in whatever area you wish. As for taxes, keep in mind that they do vary based on exact location, schools, local amenities, etc.; and not all towns are villages. As for the differences, discuss with your tax professional--income tax in Nassau County tends to be less as opposed to NYC; also check your car insurance and homeowner's insurance, may be less expensive in Nassau County. Research tax related information on your own, so that an informed decision can be made; check local tax assessor's sites, etc. For available area properties check http://www.mlsli.com
Javier Menes…, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Melville, NY
Thu May 2, 2013
Property taxes in Nassau are significantly higher than in Queens. But it doesn't necessarily mean that one is the better option for you than the other. I assume you have other priorities than just what's cheaper. Queens and Nassau are two different types of paces to live in. Consider all aspects and see what works best for you and your family.

If my response was helpful, consider clicking BEST ANSWER!

Javier Meneses
Senior Loan Officer
STERLING NATIONAL BANK
310 Crossways Park Drive
Woodbury, NY 11797
jmeneses@snb.com
(516) 606-9648 Cell
(631) 659-2011 Office
(516) 918-5383 Fax