What is the difference between the real estate market n Ukranian Villlage, Wicker Park / Bucktown and Roscoe?

Asked by Ben, Chicago, IL Mon Jun 15, 2009

Village? Which neighboorhood is more desirable for a young couple?

Answers

4
Sarah Ziehr, Agent, Chicago, IL
Sat Jul 14, 2012
You can get more for your money in Ukrainian Village, however not by much as it is becoming an increasingly more popular place to live. Rentals in Wicker Park, Bucktown and Roscoe Village go fast - lightening speed.

Property taxes are higher in Wicker Park and Roscoe Village by a few hundred dollars.

If I were deciding on these neighborhoods, one thing that would influence my decision is where I will be commuting to everyday. They are all great neighborhoods if you need to get out to the suburbs, however if you are trekking down to the loop every day your commute time will be a lot more desirable if you live in Wicker Park or Ukrainian Village. If you need to be in Lincolnshire every morning at 8am, then you probably are going to want to reside in Roscoe Village.

Another thing to think about is if you prefer new construction or an older building with more character. If the interior of your space is more important to you, then I would keep an open mind to neighborhood and focus on finding the perfect space.
Andy Ogorzaly, Agent, Chicago, IL
Sat Jul 14, 2012
Bucktown and Roscoe Village are turning more and more into mostly expensive single family homes or 3 flat condos. They are both pretty low density, lots of busy parks, so I am sure you can guess what the make up is.

Wicker Park & UK Village also has that mix, but it has more flat style buildings both old and new.

I consider both areas great to live, but Bucktown & Roscoe will be more pricey than Wicker & UK. If you are looking for a condo, I would make Bucktown, Wicker and UK my top choices. The inventory isn't huge, so searching all three shouldn't be a problem.
Chuck Stupar…, , Oak Brook, IL
Tue Jun 16, 2009
All 3 areas have really increased in value over the years. Each has commercial as well as industrial area. The value in each is almost a block by block determination. I suggest you drive each area and get a grasp of each and that will help determine what your mind-set is.Signage in each can be called if a particular property interests you. Regardless taxes are going up in all these area, regardless of location.
If schools are important you can also check out the ratings of each by calling the Chicago Board of Education.
Web Reference:  http://chuckstuparits.com
Kipp Blackbu…, , Chicago, IL
Tue Jun 16, 2009
Roscoe Village is a little cheaper than Wicker Park / Bucktown but about the same as Uk Village. I've lived in these areas and can suggest pros and cons of both. I also have a fantastic listing in East Village that is getting a lot of interest right now: 1750 W Ohio #1.