What is the difference between a buyer's agent and a real estate agent?

Asked by kountry001, Honolulu, HI Sun Feb 23, 2014

Answers

5
Jonelle Bech…, Agent, Beverly Hills, CA
Thu Sep 25, 2014
Pretty much the same thing.. Buyer Agent prefers to work with Buyers..
Dennis Evans, Agent, Clifton Park, NY
Sun Feb 23, 2014
Real Estate agents take on many many functions... One is helping buyers find a home.
When we are working with the buyer and not the listing.. we are a buyers agent.
My NC Homes…, Agent, Chapel Hill, NC
Sun Feb 23, 2014
All Realtors can represent either the Seller - the listing agent, The Buyer - A Buyer Broker or Buyer's agent and/or both sides in a single transaction. (In my state this is referred to as dual agency, but different states have different names for this)

In my opinion no buyer or seller should ever allow one agent to work both sides of a single transaction. Regardless of what any other Realtor may say, this is a conflict of interest and more often than not both buyer and seller are thrown under a bus while the agent focuses exclusively on themselves and on retaining the entire commission.

Sellers should ahve someone looking out for their best interests and squarely in their corner and the same is true for buyers. I've attached a link below that offers solid advice on what any buyer should be looking for in terms of a buyer broker. I hope you find it useful and I wish you good luck and happy house hunting.
Suzanne MacD…, Agent, Succasunna, NJ
Sun Feb 23, 2014
A buyer's agent is a real estate agent that is representing the buyer in a particular transaction. Some States allow real estate agents to represent both the buyer and the seller in a transaction. A buyer's agent, however, only represents the buyer, avoiding any potential for a conflict of interest.
Wayde Nakaso…, , Mililani, HI
Sun Feb 23, 2014
A real estate agent may assist with both buyers and sellers.
A buyer's agent specifically has the buyer's interests in mind.
Same goes for the seller's or listing agent. They look out for the seller's best interests.