What is the definition of bedroom. I have a room with big door and big windows and currently use as office. Can I list as a bedroom ?

Asked by nemethlaz, South Lake Tahoe, CA Sat Apr 27, 2013

--
This question was asked from this property: http://www.trulia.com/property/1084963885-20374-N-Park-Hill-…

Answers

11
The Michael…, Agent, Gurnee, IL
Sat Apr 27, 2013
Peggy, as a past president of your board I assure you your board has no rules on bedroom count. Your MLS, MRED, which serves a number of Realtor Associations, has clear room count rules available on their site. I cut and paste the bedroom definition for you and others here:

BEDROOM
• Basement bedrooms (50% below adjacent grade level) may NOT be counted in the total
bedrooms count.
• A bedroom is defined as a private room closed off from other living space, which does not
have its only entrance from another bedroom.
• This definition will meet appraiser standards for bedrooms and would exclude tandem
rooms.
• A room without a closet is countable as a bedroom.

Ask an appraiser. The MLS changed this when the appraisers did a number of years ago.
Maria Gilda…, Agent, Manchester, CT
Sun Apr 28, 2013
The town records will show the number of bedrooms for a specific property. As realtors, if we want to dislose what is considered legal number of bedrooms--we use town's records.

However, realtors can also state --- bonus room or office --can be used as a - __th bedroom if that room has a closet, is above grade, and has windows for egress and door for ingress.
Tammy Hayes, Agent, Port Charlotte, FL
Sat Apr 27, 2013
In our area, a bedroom has to have a door, window and a closet to be considered a bedroom. If it does not have a closet we can write in the description - could be used as a den, office or bedroom. But if it is a 3 bedroom home, we can't advertise it as a 4 bedroom for example.

Tammy Hayes, Realtor
RE/MAX Palm Realty
tammyhayesre@gmail.com
Jim Olive, Agent, Key West, FL
Sat Apr 27, 2013
I suspect all these different rules (whether real or perceived) have spawned the use in recent years of the "bonus room" which can be used for whatever you want as long as you don't invite in any Appraisers or Code Enforcement officials...
Christina Ha…, Other Pro, Morristown, TN
Sat Apr 27, 2013
To be considered a bedroom it must have a closet.

Best of Luck;

Christina Solorzano;
CEO & SR Credit Repair Specialist at
Everlasting Credit Repair
Ex-Mortgage Banker of more than 10 years.
http://www.everlastingcredit.com
Peggy S Baker, Agent, Barrington, IL
Sat Apr 27, 2013
As the question was initially posted re a home in Deer Park, IL, our board is very specific on closets in a bedroom, without question. In any event you want to avoid legal issues down the road.
The Michael…, Agent, Gurnee, IL
Sat Apr 27, 2013
You're getting a lot of different answers. It is my understanding that the requirement of a closet was dropped by appraisers a number of years ago. If I list a home and wish to count a room with no closet as a bedroom I note "no closet in Br 4" in the remarks so buyers aren't disappointed when they see that and think it shouldn't be counted as a bedroom.
Some people will use that as a bedroom or a guest room. Some people search by number of bedrooms and intend to use one as an office or spare room. They might not pull up your listing with a lower bedroom count. The Multiple Listing Service in your area may have its own rules for bedroom count.
Peggy S Baker, Agent, Barrington, IL
Sat Apr 27, 2013
In Illinois there must be a closet. A real closet, not a medicine cabinet size, and must be IN the room, not opposite the door to the room.
Shanna Rogers, Agent, Murrieta, CA
Sat Apr 27, 2013
Hi nemethiaz,

There has to be a closet for it to be considered a bedroom.

Shanna Rogers
SR Realty
http://www.RealtyBySR.com
Ron Thomas, Agent, Fresno, CA
Sat Apr 27, 2013
In almost all areas; a bedroom is described as having a door, a window and a closet.
I have seen sellers place an armoir in the room for the closet, and get away with it.

Normally, the number of bedrooms is already a part of the country records.
Jim Olive, Agent, Key West, FL
Sat Apr 27, 2013
The definition varies by state, but typically it all boils down to safety...does the room have a second means of egress in case of emergency? If you can climb out the window, then the room typically meets the definition of a bedroom. The best advice I can give you is to find a local agent who will know the local laws. And while you're at it, discuss listing your property with them, because the best way to sell your home is with the help of an agent...