Home Buying in Columbus>Question Details

FirstHome, Home Buyer in Fort Benning, GA

What is the best way to tell your agent you don't want to work with them?

Asked by FirstHome, Fort Benning, GA Mon Feb 10, 2014

We are not in a written contract with the agent.

Wouldn't hurt to let them know why you're dumping them, perhaps there's an explanation, or they can correct the behavior for their next clients...
I will also add in why. thanks
Flag Mon Feb 10, 2014
This is a wonderful question you have posted and you have received exceptional guidance already. It is important for buyer and sellers to understand they CAN discuss with the REALTORS with whom they work, and problems they have regarding the service they receive. An agent truly does not want to work with a buyer or seller who does not want to work with them. By presenting your concern, you create the environment where you can shake hands and part ways as FRIENDS. Being honest and transparent bings great benefit to YOU. Further, you really never see the true character of others until things go wrong. The REALTOR who is gracious, thank you and shakes your hand as a friend has revealed much. Best of success to you.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 10, 2014
AGREED Not everyone gets along, be honest and part ways. I like to know why so I can improve then NO hard feelings.
Flag Mon Feb 10, 2014
Just tell them. It's better than them thinking you want to work with them and they are keeping you in mind for potential houses that you may like. You are just wasting their time.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 10, 2014
"I have decided to work with a different agent. Thank you so much for your efforts on our behalf."
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 10, 2014
you're very welcome.
Flag Mon Feb 10, 2014
Thanks, this will work

This will work, thanks
Flag Mon Feb 10, 2014
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in Evanston, IL
Thank you for your answers, they have help us much.
It is unfortunate you have that feeling about your agent, but if you do just let them know you are sorry but you no longer need their services.. And you can either tell them on phone or you can drop a writen note by their office and keep a copy of it. And then you are free to use someone else.. You will not be bound to them. If you never signed a brokerage buyer's agreement then you are not obligated to use that person anyway..
Hello First Home Buyer,
This does happen from time to time, and it is best to work with someone who understands you. Give your current Realtor a call and explain that you are not happy with the relationship that you are having with them. At that point they will want to probably refer you to another agent in the office. At that point, ask your agent to talk with their Broker to see who would be a better fit with you. You will definitely need to do this IF you have an Exclusive Buyer Brokerage Agreement that both of you signed. IF you did NOT sign anything, then just a nice phone call or email will be ok, but do not ignore the person.

If you would like me to refer you to an Agent in your area, just let me know. I am a member of the Leading Real Estate Companies of the World and have a great resource of Realtors that are in our network.

Good luck on your home purchase and new agent.

Sally Wildasinn, Realtor
ABR, ePro, SRS

Depends on the circumstances and the agent involved, however you already got this, and it starts with being in a clear, written brokerage agreement. In this particular case, this agent could be simply ignored - issuing a "talk to the hand" order isn't such a bad idea here...
The first step should be to sit down with the agent and discuss your expectations and let them know where they may be falling short of them. Every client/customer has a set of expectations and they are all different. An agent should not but often assumes they know what your expectations are and they just get them wrong. If your agent has not asked you what your expectations are then you need to let them know what they are so everyone is working from the same sheet of music.

If this discussion has occurred and they still are not meeting your expectations then I would let them know in writing why you are no longer interested in working with them. A phone call is a common courtesy however something in writing is usually required if you are under contract.
The same way agent's tell buyers/sellers they don't want to work with them:

"After much consideration I don't feel that we are a good fit. I would like to end our relationship. Thank you for your time and effort."

And I agree, it's always nice to know where you fell short.
Best Way in My opinion Is To Be Open And honest With Them. I Want To Know Where I Have Failed so I Can Improve. I Assum They ARe Professional And Would Want The same
If you're not in a contractual agreement then just let them know. Courtesy would be in writing and I'd tell them why- might help them improve whatever is weak
Web Reference: http://www.hmtatlanta.com
What a gentle and caring suggestion, Hank.
Flag Mon Feb 10, 2014
Whatever your motivation for not working with them you should tell them. Say, you decided to work with another agent or you have decided to go with another brokerage firm, let them know. It's best not to lead them on and have them working to find a home or find comps if you are selling your home. Honesty is the best policy once again.