What is the best advice you can give you buyers right now?

Asked by Jaime Becker, Sacramento, CA Wed Aug 21, 2013

Answers

14
Rick Otto, Agent, Arden-Arcade, CA
Wed Aug 21, 2013
All the answers published are right on target.

Get an agent, if you don't already have one. If you don't have one, talk to friends or relatives that do, or call me @ (916) 484-0955. You want a qualified agent, to provide you quality answers to your questions and quality in understanding the market conditions, pricing, and how to write an offer. I've got over thirty years experience doing just that.

Get pre-approved by a lender. If you don't know a lender, have your agent refer you to one they know and trust. Or, like getting an agent, referrals from friends and relatives.

Have your agent search the market using your parameters established by your lender. The Multiple Listing Service accessible by agents is the most up to date and accurate information available on properties.

Write your offer. Use your agent's knowledge of the market, conditions and your purchasing power. But don't hesitate to write your offer. Please make sure you are comfortable with the price and terms, since you are the one making the payments and living in the house. But an experienced agent should be able to write an offer that is acceptable, based on the obstacles they are confronted with. An agent with hundreds of sales a year does not make a qualified agent. Experience at writing offers AND getting them accepted is what will help make you successful. But once you find the right property that you are comfortable with, write that offer. Don't think about it over night, you may regret it.

I've represented buyers, sellers, negotiated short sales and listed and sold foreclosures. I've done it all. I don't have to rely on quantity to get me by. I rely on quality, and so do my clients, very successfully.

When you call my office, you talk to me, not an assistant, escrow coordinator or anyone else that can't answer your questions. You will be impressed,

Rick Otto
(916) 484-0955
rick@rickotto.com
http://www.rickotto.com
Sue Archer R…, Agent, Palm Harbor, FL
Wed Aug 21, 2013
Of course you'd say that Bob! And Bob is an excellent lender.

And while this is along the same lines, I'd say find a competent buyer's agent to help you. You can find many internet search engines but you'll soon discover that when you try to go in and view them, most will already be in contract. You'll be behind and become frustrated.

Get prequalified with a reputable lender and identify a buyer's agent who is a good negotiator and knows the market. There are many to choose from. That's where a buyer should start.
James Deskins, Agent, Worthington, OH
Fri Aug 23, 2013
1. Don't over-buy.
2. Get pre-APPROVED.
3. Get a good buyer's agent.
4. Do a lot of research.
DeeDee Riley, Agent, El Dorado Hills, CA
Wed Aug 21, 2013
Don't try to go it alone as it is not as easy as it may seem. Find an agent that you like and stick with them. They will guide you through the process and provide you with not only the listings but all the information you'll need to make your offers as well.

As others have mentioned, if you like a house don't wait to put in your offer, even if you think it may be priced high. If you wait for the seller to lower the price, it may very well increase your competition at that point.
Kylee Roe, Agent, Sacramento, CA
Wed Aug 21, 2013
You still have to come in with a strong realistic offer. Strong includes being pre-qualified, being ready to inspect and remove contingencies. I think the market has settled some, but not alot. As a buyer, you still have challenges.
Dennis Evans, Agent, Clifton Park, NY
Sat Sep 7, 2013
The best advice in this market is to get the best Realtor you can find... It may make the difference of actually getting the home of your dreams or losing it.
Ask friends, family, advice from lawyers, etc....
If you are searching for homes on Trulia... There is a special button for "find an agent"... This link can bring you to what Trulia ranks as "PRO" and "VIP". These are more experienced Realtors normally that are using Trulia for their listings and are answering questions, Have more sold homes, etc....
Just some good advice from someone who loves Real Estate and that does not live in your area and has nothing to benefit... Except to lead you in the right direction... Hope this helps and good fortune in your search.
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Sat Sep 7, 2013
A most interesting question.....

1. Find a good full time personal agent with which you can relate

2. get pre-approved

3. Become informed about your target market

4. Have clearly established search criteria for your ideal home (in writing)

5. Make communication a priority with your agent. It's a two way street

6. Understand and accept, there are NO "dumb questions."

Respectfully,

Maria Cipoll…, Agent, Coral Springs, FL
Sat Sep 7, 2013
HI Jaime,

It is not secret that finding the right real estate agent is essential to enjoying a painless and stress free real estate transaction.

The best way to find an experienced real estate agent is by getting recommendation from someone
you trust. Start by asking your relatives, friends, co-workers and even at your local bank to recommend a real estate agent that have worked with them on the past.

Interview several agents and ask if they can recommend all the other professionals that you need to finalize your real estate transaction. In these interviews ask a lot of questions and choose the professional that will click with your needs right away.

Best of Luck,

Maria Cipollone

http://www.Flahomespecialist.com
Jennifer Fiv…, Agent, Red Hook, NY
Thu Sep 5, 2013
To do some homework on the area, to make sure it is the neighborhood that will work. Don't just purchase based on price.
Jcruce, , Roseville, CA
Thu Sep 5, 2013
My advice from a lenders perspective is to get preapproved, not prequalified, before you start to shop. This seemingly obvious step is often over looked and can cause real problems for everyone involved. Experienced agents almost always make sure their buyers are, or will soon be preapproved before they begin showing properties. By investing the time upfront a number of all too common escrow killing mistakes can be avoided. Keep in mind, sellers don't want to be in contract with people who can't close. And unlike the last few years they are less likely to extend a contract in appreciating market.
Mack McCoy, Agent, Seattle, WA
Thu Aug 29, 2013
Well, I'm not going to tell MY buyers to "go get an agent!"

Seriously, I think that people have to be treated like the individuals they are, and that we should advise them for their own particular circumstance.
Cameron Novak, Agent, Corona, CA
Thu Aug 29, 2013
1. Buy as much house as you can reasonably afford (% increase in value = more equity on higher priced homes).

The advice I'd like to give is to purchase a home in 2012. Too bad it's too late for that one. Don't wait.
Cindy Davis, Agent, San Diego, CA
Wed Aug 21, 2013
If you find a home you really like - don't wait to put an offer in. Homes are still selling quickly.
Bob Willett, , Sacramento, CA
Wed Aug 21, 2013
Get pre-qualified by a competent lender.
Web Reference:  http://SacRELender.com