What is the average time homes are on the market?

Asked by Melinda Sanborn, West Nyack, NY Fri Mar 8, 2013

Do you think that a home stager is a good idea?

Answers

5
Ellen Kippel, Agent, Suffern, NY
Fri May 31, 2013
Hi Melinda,

A great deal depends on where the home is located. Right now in Rockland County, when a home is properly priced, in Orangetown, homes are "flying off the shelf". I brought my client to buy a home there, and whether it was in Orangeburg, Tappan, Pearl River or any other village of Orangetown, the southernmost section of Rockland County, if I didn't get there fast with my buyers, within a few days the home had an accepted offer. In other areas of the county, homes don't seem to be moving as quickly, yet. Even well priced homes. I can give you a better idea of how long it would take for your home to sell, once I see it and once we set a price. As long as your home is priced to sell, I will be able to give you a time frame, although much depends on that. Staging is not necessary, as long as your home is neat, clean and decluttered, although it might help, to some extent.

I hope when you are ready to sell your home, you call me at 914-588-2365 so I can provide you with a free comparative market analysis and so we can discuss all your questions in detail.

Take care,
Ellen
Ellen Kippel
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Multi-Million Dollar Producer
Weichert Realtors
Suffern, NY
Gayle Moran…, Agent, Rockland, MA
Tue Mar 19, 2013
"Average" time on the market? Overpriced homes may be on the market months to over a year or more with reduction after reduction, with the seller ending up with a lower final sale price than if the home were properly priced in the beginning.
Homes priced properly, with careful consideration to competitive listings and prices of properties that have already sold, often bring more than one interested buyer, many times in just a couple of weeks, and offers are at asking price, sometimes slightly higher.

Gayle Renella, Associate Broker William Raveis Baer & McIntosh Real Estate. 845 216 1078
Melinda Sanb…, , West Nyack, NY
Mon Mar 11, 2013
Absolutely a wonderful idea. What better way to get your home seen with your best foot forward then to have your home evaluated by a trained professional who will assist you in making all the right choices in marketing your home for top dollar. They know all the in's and out's of marketing your home.
Everything is evaluated and documented as to it being an asset or obstacle to be dealt with.

It is a well known fact that homes that are in tip top shape sell quicker and for more profit. Every dollar you spend on having your homes condition updated and staged will come back to you, in higher profits.
Maureen McEn…, Agent, Pearl River, NY
Fri Mar 8, 2013

In Nyack, the Absorption Rate in fiscal 2012 was 9.4 months. That is the average time it takes to sell a home. There were time periods where the calculated Absorption rate was as low as 4.5 months. So far in 2013, sales in Nyack have been a bit sluggish. The calculated Absorption rate for January and February of 2013 has been 11 months. As we enter the more active Spring market, I expect that to decrease. These are average numbers, there will be variations.

If you price your home well given the size, location, updates and condition, it is likely you home would sell in 3-4 months. If you are considering selling your Nyack home, I can conduct a complimentary market analysis to determine the approximate market price. This analysis looks at the price other buyers have paid for similar homes near your home. Good luck.

Staging can help you home appear more attractive, but the price, condition, updates, and location are the key to selling your home.

Maureen McEnroe
Licensed Real Estate Broker
Prudential Joyce Realty
mmcenroe@prudentialjoyce com
914 588 1873
allan erps,A…, Agent, Pearl River, NY
Fri Mar 8, 2013
If priced correctly in this area houses can be in contract in 10 days. If over priced you are looking at 4 months to a year. Need anything else you can email me at allan.erps@randrealty.com for the great service that you deserve.