What is the average cost per square foot to build a house with upgrades (hardwood, granite, etc.) on a lot that is paid for?

Asked by Lovespugs, Huntsville, AL Wed Feb 17, 2010

Answers

6
Jane Grant, Agent, Aguanga, CA
Wed Feb 17, 2010
Hello: My husband is a builder and the cost for an above average home is approximately $150.00 per sq. foot. Here is a site that will help you out also!

http://www.b4ubuild.com/faq/faq_0002.shtml

Happy building!
Web Reference:  http://www.soreal.biz
Stephanie Ra…, Agent, Cullman, AL
Wed Feb 17, 2010
It depends upon the builder. Some builders will give you a price per square foot, others will go cost plus a percentage. It's a good idea to meet with several builders, look at their standards of construction, and have an experienced Realtor to represent you & be present for these discussions. Different Builders have different standards, & some industry standards may not be acceptable to you.
It is no different working with a builder than it is buying a house - you need representation.
I have been an onsite agent for builders in the past & know what to look for & the questions to ask. Call me. I'll be happy to help you, & set up appointments with local reputable builders, & look out for your best interests!
Stephanie Wilson, Realtor
Accredited Buyer Representative
Sales Manager, Crye-Leike Madison
256-665-8986
Dan Chase, Home Buyer, Texas City, TX
Thu Mar 11, 2010
Why not find a local modular home dealer and ask them what it would cost to have a house exactly like you want built? You could order it from the factory with it never getting rained in. The only real difference from being stick built is a connector in the wiring harness. Find out exactly with no real hassle.
Diana Welch, Agent, Huntsville, AL
Thu Mar 11, 2010
There are many factors in estimating building costs- it can range from 117-155 dependent on your needs and desires. Talk with at least 2 builders for costs after you select a style home that is right for you! Please call me if I can help you locate a builder.
Sue Von Hor, Agent, Huntsville, AL
Tue Mar 2, 2010
You would need to be much more specific, Do you want one level? 2 level? Rinnai? Sand and finished floors or pre finished, Slab or crawl space, Reflective heat lining in the attic? 2x4 or 2x6 Construction? ...If this makes your head spin, it should. Lots of questions,. no average. Give me a call, I can place you with a builder who will meet your needs, exceed your expectations in quality. Plenty of testimonals. This is a big undertaking. There's much more to this than "upgrades"!
Sue Von Hor 256 270 9339 Broker Associate, Rise Century.
Judy Goodman, Agent, Huntsville, AL
Wed Feb 17, 2010
I agree with Stephanie. There are many factors that determine the final cost of building. The land preparation alone can vary greatly depending on the lay of the land. It would be difficult to give an average. I also recommend interviewing several builders and viewing their finished homes. Please feel free to contact me if you have any additional questions. I have worked over 8 years in the field actually on the jobsite daily with a builder building hundreds of homes.
Judy Goodman
Accredited Buyers Representative, GREEN, SFR
Keller Williams Realty Madison
256.541.6548
Hello Judy,
We are planning a move to the area in the next 12 to 18 months. we are looking at building a home roughly about 2300 square feet no hardwood floors but stone front/stucco? With wood exterior windows on the front of the house and interior wood in the main living areas. We will use linoleum wood flooring for ease of care. We are both retired and looking to cut costs from living on the West Coast. Any information you have would be helpful.
Jodi
Flag Fri Nov 18, 2016