What is the average cost for a real estate attorney in the Lowell, MA area?

Asked by Ninfragile19, Lowell, MA Thu Jul 30, 2009

My realtor highly recommended that I hire an attorney to represent me through the buying process. I was hesitant at first, but he has proven himself to be on the money with everything else so far, so perhaps I could benefit from an attorney. Do they generally charge a flat rate or are they hourly in this are?

Answers

2
Leslie Brenker Merrimack Valley’s answer
Leslie Brenk…, , Tewksbury, MA
Wed Sep 16, 2009
Usually they charge a flat fee for a closing. If you wanted them to look over your Purchase and Sale agreement that is usually extra. Your attorney doesn't have to come from Lowell, I use Peter D'Damore from Burlington and he or an associate will come to the Registry of Deeds and close there if you prefer. It is in your best interest because they represent you not the bank.
Ken Lambert, , Exeter, NH
Thu Jul 30, 2009
Hi Nina- Good point and thought. I would recommend you call Suzeanne Smith- 781-775-6327. If you use her services for the closing and the needed title insurance policy, I believe she would be happy to help you review the P&S and all that from your end to make sure everything is done correctly and in your interest- at no additional fees.

Other than that, a typical flat rate to have an attorney review and alter a P&S is between $400- $500 normally. I would just work with a RE attorney that will also do the closing and title though- it saves you money and makes sense.
If I can be of any other help, please let me know. Thanks,
Ken L