What is that eyesore in Ocean Gate?

Asked by Danielle Monaghan, Old Bridge, NJ Sun May 1, 2011

Looking at homes in Ocean Gate, we took a drive around the neighborhood. What is that huge eyesore in the marsh that looks like a field of power lines? When we were looking at houses, we could see the power lines all the way at the end of one of the roads, and we were almost a mile away.

Answers

3
Curtis Lee, Agent, Manahawkin, NJ
Sun May 1, 2011
The property is now owned by The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and is a Wildlife Preserve. It was operated by ATT until 1999 as a shortwave radio transmitting station providing telephone communications to ships at sea. There are no plans to make any changes to the site due to the wetlands and birds using the old antennas for nesting. People have been buying homes near the facility for over 80 years now so I’m not sure how much of an “Eyesore” it is.

Curtis Lee
Broker~Salesperson
Prudential Zack Shore Properties
Office: 609-597-6464 ext1268
Tollfree: 800-594-3315
Web Reference:  Http://www.MurphyLeeTeam.com
Lucille Gesek, Agent, Bayville, NJ
Mon May 2, 2011
Remember the terminology "ship to shore" communication and that's exactly what those power lines were for but with recent technological advances, they are no longer in use. I'm living here since 1996 and when I found out what they were, I was more intrigued than found it an "eyesore". Honestly, I drive that particular stretch of road all the time and I don't even see the power lines, just the vast open land and hope that I see an elegant egret flying by.
Web Reference:  http://www.LucilleGesek.com
Lisa D Arnold, , Forked River, NJ
Sun May 1, 2011
That is a long abandoned Bell Telephone (yes, it's been THAT long) station in Bayville. It's been like that as long as I've been down here, since 1984, and I've heard nothing about what is going to be done with it.