What is pocket leasing?

Asked by A.trapz, Austin, TX Sat Sep 1, 2012

Answers

5
Ronald Cullinan’s answer
Ronald Culli…, Agent, Austin, TX
Sat Sep 1, 2012
Good morning A. trapz.

A pocket listing is an informal term that is used to communicate information between Realtors about properties that are not active on the MLS system but might be available for lease or purchase. Sometimes they are properties that were in the system and have been dropped for various reasons, and sometimes they are properties that Realtors are aware of that might be available but haven't been listed yet, for a plethora of reasons.

Usually when you see one of these terms, it is either an agent looking for a property that isn't active (because they can't find something for their clients that fit their needs) and the agent is hoping that another agent may have something that would fit. Other times, you'll see agents talk about pocket listings that might soon be available but the owners, for some reason, don't want it actively listing at the present time.

Feel free to contact me directly if you have other questions, or want some help in the leasing or purchasing market in Austin and surrounding communities.

Ron Cullinan
Avalar Austin
GRI, CRS, ABR, CLHMS, e-Pro
512-799-3239

http://www.austinonlinehomes.com
Thank you for clearing it up for me
Flag Sat Nov 23, 2013
Let me just add, that sometimes before a property is ready agents will hold it as a pocket listing, knowing it will soon be in the "system" but isn't yet. But they are still telling other agents about it. Sort of like a coming soon. But not every one does this.
Flag Sat Sep 1, 2012
Carla Pennin…, Agent, Georgetown, TX
Mon Sep 10, 2012
Sometimes agents have houses for sale that the owner would be willing to lease. We know about it and perhaps spread the info by word of mouth or other means without actually publishing that information on the MLS or other sites, since the owners first choice would be to sell. Kind of soft marketing.
Bruce Lewis, Agent, Austin, TX
Mon Sep 3, 2012
There were good answers by all.

I think John Crowe answered the question of a pocket lease direct and to the point.

Bruce Lewis
John Crowe, Agent, Austin, TX
Sat Sep 1, 2012
I think the folks below covered a pocket listing well-enough, yet I believe you asked about a lease. It's the same concept as a pocket listing: simply a lease opportunity that hasn't been published and marketed the traditional way (ie on the MLS). Make sense?
Web Reference:  http://www.crowehomes.com
Steven Nusin…, Agent, Austin, TX
Sat Sep 1, 2012
Simply speaking, a pocket listing is a home that is for sale, but it is not being publically advertised on most if not all websites including the MLS.

Please feel free to contact me anytime if you would like detailed analysis on any home or neighborhood.

Steve Nusinow
(512)922-7588