What is a timeline for needing to get structural damage repaired- whats the length of time you can live there?

Asked by Rhonda, Tulsa, OK Tue Oct 14, 2008

We are thinking of buying a home with structural damage. We want to know how long we can live there before needing to get it fixed, etc.

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Jim Hemphill, Agent, Tulsa, OK
Wed Oct 15, 2008
If you are buying the home, have the seller repair the damage before you move in. If you have not gotten a structural report from an engineer then you need to do this and then go by his recommendation for the repairs. Most sellers will be willing to make the repairs if they are presented with the engineer report and the cost of the repair. Then if they still do not want to do the repairs you will need to negotiate with, maybe raise your offer to buy to include the repairs. Remember that everything about buying or selling a home is negotiable. Always, always make sure that the repairs are completed before you close on the home.
To your Success
JIm Hempill
1 vote
Eric Ward, Agent, Tulsa, OK
Tue Oct 14, 2008
Rhonda- You need to get a full structural engineers report. I recommend you not call on a piering company, but an independent engineer. They would be best to answer your question as to the extent of the damage, corrective measures needed and a timeline. Be very cautious on purchasing a home with structural damage.
1 vote
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more