What is a manufactured home, how is it different to regular homes. Is it safe as other homes, are there special provisions involved in buying it.?

Asked by Sharon Balbosa, Coconut Creek, FL Thu Apr 12, 2012

Answers

2
Maggie Hawk, Agent, New Smyrna Beach, FL
Thu Apr 12, 2012
Sharon,
A manufactured home is a home that is built at one location, and then delivered on a large truck to a home site.

While the home is traveling on roads to the home site, it's called a mobile home and is treated by the state as a vehicle.

Once it arrives at the home site where it will remain, and it is anchored to the ground by "tie-downs", it's then considered by the state to be a manufactured home, and is subject to property taxes, just like a "site-built" home.

During a storm with high winds, such as a hurricane, manufactured homes are viewed by public officials as riskier to stay in. For this reason, people living in manufactured homes are often the first people asked to leave and seek a public shelter where they can "ride out" the storm.

Please understand that a hurricane is an extreme weather condition, and that people in "site-built" homes may be asked to go to shelters too.

If a manufactured home is well-maintained, it can last for many years. I've seen manufactured homes in my area that were built in the 1970s and '80s.

You may find it difficult to obtain financing for a manufactured home. Therefore, most are purchased for cash.

Also, there are some aspects of purchasing a manufactured home that are unique to that type of home. Mainly, they involve the identification stickers that the government uses to identify the home. Once you have a purchase contract and are waiting to close on your home, your real estate agent and closing agent can handle those details.

Good luck with your property search.
Roy Barker Jr…, Agent, Pompano Beach, FL
Sat May 5, 2012
HI Sharon,

I couldnt agree with Maggie more. I am not sure I could have answered that question any better. Manufactured homes also do not hold thier value so from and investment standpoint I would add that it is not a good move.