What is a R4 Zone?

Asked by Ncblkgy, Newcastle, WA Tue Feb 23, 2010

I am looking at a 1.7 acre lot for sale in a nice location. I am wondering why no one has snagged it up yet. I am looking to buy some land and have a home built on the land. What does a R4 Zoning mean in the Seattle/Renton Washington area. The ad I am looking at says Possible subdivisable lot R4 Zoning.

Answers

6
Jennifer Oha…, Agent, Bothell, WA
Tue Feb 23, 2010
R4 refers to 4 lots/homes per acre
Jean Bradford, Agent, Silverdale, WA
Tue Feb 23, 2010

In Mason Co., less than a mile from the Kitsap Co. line, I have a beautiful home listed on 3.74 Acres, Zoned R-4, allowing up to 4 Units per Acre to be built. To view the "Virtual Tour" of this property, go to:
http://www.johnlscott.com/jeanb

Jean Bradford
Associate Broker, ABR,GRI,CRS,CRB
John L. Scott
Silverdale, WA
360-620-4774
Nancy Hill, Agent, Issaquah, WA
Tue Feb 23, 2010
This means 4 homes per acre can be built. All the zoning codes can be found on the King Count website - for your reference in the future.

Homes with acreage are of interest to some buyers who do not want to live in a developed platted community.

Nancy Hill
http://www.BestKingCountyRealEstate.com
Kdhunna, Home Buyer, Newcastle, WA
Mon Apr 17, 2017
ask the seller it is best for you
Tonya Brobeck, , Everett, WA
Wed Feb 24, 2010
Buying land can be a little riskier then buying a house already built as the buyer is responsible for verifying all information. Sub dividable? Power? Building codes? Etc.....Getting financed is a bit harder on vacant land too, which for these reasons and some others they can sell slower then your typical stick built home on a lot.

I am finding quite an increase in home buyers looking for land over the last month or so though. The idea of building their own home is resurfacing, perhaps from lower costs associated in materials? I don't know but I sure do like it.
Dan Tabit, Agent, Issaquah, WA
Tue Feb 23, 2010
Ncblkby,
Land right now is moving slower than houses. Builders are the primary buyer of larger lots, and most of the smaller builders are trying to hold on and survive the current downturn. The good news for you may be that land prices have taken a harder hit than home prices, so if you are able to find a good lot, obtain construction financing and know a good builder, you should do well.
There are lots of steps involved with this process, so if you are not very familiar, make sure you have an agent that is. Your offer should include a feasibility study with sufficient time to uncover any land use issues and permit prohibitions which would inhibit your ability to build what you hope too.
You don't need a set of plans, but a good idea of how much space you intend to use and how it might be laid out. Setbacks, wetland issues and utilities all need to be clearly understood in order to proceed safely.
Sounds exciting, I hope all goes well for you.