What if your agent is unethical & has lied about everything to you & is a REALLY SHADY CHARACTER!!?

Asked by Backtalkblues, Laguna Beach, CA Mon Sep 10, 2012

He has priced my home on the MLS for more than $100,000 LESS than I agreed to & signed for. He bribed the listing agent on a home I put an offer on w/out my knowledge. Then called ME ... I called HER to tell her what he'd said & she was shocked!! She had sent him an email already saying there were mistakes on the 1st page of the offer & what needed to be corrected & she would present ALL OFFERS TO SELLER THREE DAYS LATER, as he was out of town. This before he said they'd accepted my offer except he had to get the "bribe" from his safe... 
 after he found out I'd called her told her I felt uneasy he called ME & said for me to cancel my offer so HE COULD BUY IT, paint over mold & water marks & flip it & make $2000,000!! I believe that defines unethical!!

Answers

14
Kawain Payne, Agent, Seal Beach, CA
Tue Oct 2, 2012
If the agent truly put your home on the MLS for less than the agrred upon price, he/she either:

1.Was not paying attention (senior moment) which could happen to anyone. Maybe it was an error

2. They are truly a loose cannon, and you may need to cancel with them and find as agent who has some ethics.

Kawain Payne, Realtor®
Alan May, Agent, Evanston, IL
Tue Sep 11, 2012
It was a little hard to follow your narrative, but the first line alone "he priced the home for less than the agreement you signed" should be reason enough to bring him up before the governing body.

Clearly document all of your complaints and send them off to the California Department of Real Estate. Keep the language calm and clear, and make sure you have all your ducks in a row.

Jacqueline H…, Agent, Laguna Beach, CA
Mon Sep 10, 2012
My apologies to you on behalf of all the realtors that truly put their client's interest first. Unfortunately, every one is not trustworthy and it causes others who are trustworthy and ethical to work even harder to gain the trust of buyers and sellers because of the type of unethical conduct you experienced.

As far as what steps you can take, most of the steps have already been mentioned: reporting the realtor to the DRE, the Board and his office that he belongs to. Hopefully, he will be reprimanded or a complaint recorded in his file to safeguard others from going through a similar problem that you have experienced.

In the future, one of the best ways to ensure that the realtor you select is trustworthy, is by checking their licensce to determine how long they have been in the real estate business and have never had any complaints. Even with that information, you may have to rely on your intuition about the realtor's character. That's always a tough one, since so much of a person's character is revealed only as the transaction process starts occuring. Fortunately, you're intuition alerted you to do your own inquiries and you were able to cancel the contract with your unethical agent before the transaction went through.
Since there is no measure/price for peace of mind, hopefully, whoever you choose to handle your property will guarantee and deliver to you a smooth, no anxiety real estate transaction. Hopefully, regain your trust with industry professionals.

All the Best,

Jacqueline Hayden
DRE 01073365
R.E. Broker/Realtor
Hayden Realty Group
http://www.hrg7.com
949-439-5750
Libardo Quin…, , Newport Beach, CA
Mon Sep 10, 2012
Backtalkblues,
Very simple, you have the right at any time for any reason to cancel his/her service.

Libardo
NMLS 380933
949.861.0367
.
Segal Saieva, Agent, Irvine, CA
Mon Sep 10, 2012
Wow! What an awful experience for you. It's a good thing you found all this out. If you can print the listing with verbiage and incorrect price, I would do that before the agent pulls the listing. Next, I would definitely report this behavior to the board and/or DRE. Lastly, If you have talked with the listing agent regarding the home you want to buy and it's still available, she may consider your offer re-written. I would fire your agent (in writing) and reference that you no longer want to be represented by him as a buyer either. Then I would have an agent you feel you can trust re-write that offer and submit it on your behalf. Hopefully you haven't lost your opportunity to purchase the home you offered on.

It's unfortunate, but this type of thing does happen. Some agents are desperate and will do anything to get your business. It's good to do your research on the DRE website to ensure you have an agent that is in good standing with the DRE and doesn't have any complaints. I am happy to help you any way that I can. I am an honest and hardworking agent and I will work to exceed your expectations, to sell your home, and to help you purchase a new home.

Segal Saieva
Caporaso Brokerage
http://www.LeadYouHome.net
Segal@LeadYouHome.net
949-315-9126
Jim O'Day, , Arlington, WA
Mon Sep 10, 2012
Wow that is terrible. I was hoping to see that this post was from years ago. It pains me to see that it just happended! Document and report this agent. He should no l,onger be in the business! Makes us all look terrible!
Lori Hanson, Agent, Aliso Viejo, CA
Mon Sep 10, 2012
FIrst off, let me say how sorry I am that this has happen to you. This sort of thing really makes my blood boil. That is just so wrong on so many levels and totally goes against everything we are realtors not to mention good upstanding human beings are sworn to uphold.

You can start by calling the agents office and asking to talk to the office manager or the broker of record for the office. I am sure that the broker hasn't a clue that this agent si such a crooked person. People like that have no business being in this business. In fact I am sure someone like that will do the same sort of funny business in anything that they do professionally or personally. Slimmy people are slimmy people. Also call the Department of Real Estate and report this person so they get slapped with a fine and more.

Good Luck and I hope your next transaction is a smooth one without any problems.

Lori Hanson
OC Homes Realty
714-585-5236 Cell
estatepricing@yahoo.com
DRE 01405146
Emily Knell, Agent, Huntington Beach, CA
Mon Sep 10, 2012
Wow that is some story, getting a bribe from a safe & everything. Sounds like a very stupid agent. Acting like this so openly & obviously with bribes & painting over mold or water stains sounds to me like your agent hasn't been in the real estate business very long. You see, being a Realtor is more than just memorizing test questions, passing & paying for a license, like many consumers think.

If your agent is the broker, gosh forbid, you would need to go straight to the California Department of Real Estate to file a complaint, rather than going to your agent's broker to file a complaint with them first.

I've been a Realtor for 16yrs, if you need any help with buying or selling I am happy to help. I hope your home hasn't been on the market for too long at this price that's $100K less than you wanted it on the market for, because when you go to change it back buyers & agents will be curious about it & you'll have to say "my prior agent's assistant's finger slipped" or something like that.

I don't look back on this same Trulia posting for answers after mine. Shoot me an email directly if you would like to talk about this further.

Emily S. Knell
EmilyKnell1@yahoo.com
562-430-3053 c
Realtor Since 1996
Realty ONE Group
100% short sale success ratio
& I can Prove it.
Michael Bente, Agent, san clemente, CA
Mon Sep 10, 2012
Hi

You can report it the Department of Real Estate. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with your agent. This is why the business gets such a bad name:( If you ever have any questions or concerns feel free to contact me anytime.

Mikey Bente
#01819794
Luxre Realty
mikeybentehomes@gmail.com
714 393 6486
Steven Ornel…, Agent, Fremont, CA
Mon Sep 10, 2012
Backtalkblues,

I agree with collective Cindy- Blackstone-Cynthia comments and probably all the other professionals that will be commenting on you post!

Here’s where you want to go report your experience: http://www.dre.ca.gov/

Here are some links you may find quite useful as you move forward and find a new professional Realtor®:

CA DRE licensees are NOT bound to a Code of Ethics; only Realtors® take that oath. The one page version can be viewed here: http://docs.Steven-Anthony.com/RealtorCOE.pdf

You can check to make sure an Agent is a Realtor® by going here: http://www.realtor.org/rofindrealtor.nsf/pages/FS_FREALTOR?O…

You can check the status of a DRE Licensee and their Broker (and past violations) here: http://www2.dre.ca.gov/PublicASP/pplinfo.asp

You can check for Desist and Refrain Orders, and Unlicensed Activities here: http://secure.dre.ca.gov/publicasp/unlicenseddnr.asp

Best Regards, Steve
Cynthia Flem…, Agent, Laguna Niguel, CA
Mon Sep 10, 2012
I would fire that agent. You can also report him to the board. Difficult to follow all that happened, but sure doesn't sound ethical. If I can be of assistance, please feel free to contact me at cfleming@coldwellbanker.com.
Rob & Janet…, Agent, Ladera Ranch, CA
Mon Sep 10, 2012
Definitely! I would tell you that you have every right to report this agent to both the DRE & the board of realtors that he may be belong to. As mentioned by other agents below you would need documentation to back up your complaint. Good Luck and just remember that not all agents are created equal. Sorry that you had to experience that.

Janet Campbell
Broker
BLACKSTONE REALTY GROUP
Jim Olive, Agent, Key West, FL
Mon Sep 10, 2012
I'm not sure I follow. Very unclear what you're asking, and sounds as if you have already formed your own opinion. Wish I could help...
Cindy Davis, Agent, San Diego, CA
Mon Sep 10, 2012
If what you are saying is true, I recommend doing 3 things.

Submit your complaint to your agent's Broker, the local Real Estate Association, and the Department of Real Estate in Sacramento. Be prepared to matter of factly express your concerns and submit any documentation, correspondence, MLS records, etc.