swimmer, Home Buyer in Denton, TX

What if you have a realtor you've been working with, and you just don't like their personality and want to work with someone more "seasoned"?

Asked by swimmer, Denton, TX Wed Jan 2, 2013

Answers

10
Christine S…, Agent, Dallas, TX
Wed Jan 2, 2013
If you have signed a buyer rep agreement yu will need to speak with your Realtor and ask for a termination. Its very simple. Then you will be free to work with whom ever you choose
Dan Simon, Agent, Charleston, SC
Wed Jan 2, 2013
Have you signed a buyer's rep agreement with the Realtor?
My NC Homes…, Agent, Chapel Hill, NC
Thu Jan 3, 2013
If you have a signed buyer brokers agreement you need to review it to see what your options are for terminating it and to check when it expires. Depending on when it expires you may simply want to wait it out. If it's more than a month till it's over then consider terminating it.

Buyers should never agree to a buyer broker agreement more than 2-3 months long. (I as a buyer broker only do 2 week agreements and will typically go out with potential clients a few times before I decide whether I even want to work with them. I see no reason to burden myself with buyers I don't care to work with and while I don't expect anyone to necessarily buy a home within two weeks, they can always be renewed and if I haven't earned their confidence then I don't deserve their business.

Most agents however don't do 1/10 the business I do, are essentially starving for any business and are taught to tie up clients with extended contracts. What their Brokers don't teach them is that you can't force anyone to do business with you if they don't like or respect you and that trying only creates problems and bad publicity.

Below is a link on how to find great Realtors (regardless fo where you live) and more buyers would be better off learning how to look for a Reatlor and what questions really matter before signing on with the first Realtor they speak with.

I wish you the best of luck and happy house hunting.
Bruce Lynn, Agent, Coppell, TX
Thu Jan 3, 2013
If you have signed a buyer's rep it may be tough, but you could talk to the agent or their broker and request a change or a termination.

If you have not signed anything, then you can change at any time. I'd still discuss it with the agent, but you don't have to.

I'd be happy to work with you if you decide to make a change.
I've been living in the area for 25 years and selling for 12years.

One thing you might want to do is interview whoever you choose next.
You could also check out the TREC website and put in their name or license number.
See if they are a salesperson or a broker.....see if they do the basic to keep up their license or take a lot of classes to keep up and get better at what they do. You can often quickly tell the difference.
Good advice! Thanks!
Flag Thu Jan 3, 2013
Tommy Burris, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Baton Rouge, LA
Wed Jan 2, 2013
Fire them.

If you signed an agreement.... Then ask to be let out of it.... If they refuse, contact their boss.

There are a lot of bad realtors out there... You shouldn't have to stick with them if they do not serve you well.
Lucy Puniwai, Agent, Haslet, TX
Wed Jan 2, 2013
My advice is to look at the Buyer's Representation Agreement. The agent's Broker is listed on that form. Simply send the agent and broker an email that you are hereby terminating your agreement. You don't need to explain. Then, feel free to interview Realtors and pick one that you feel comfortable with. If you decide to purchase a home your current Realtot has shown you, the Broker can file with the Texas Real Eatate Commissn on behalf of the agent to receive compensation. Make certain whatever you so, please do it in writing. If you would like me to look over the Buyer's Representation Agreement, feel free to fax it to me.

If you have not signed a BREP, an email to the Realtor will suffice.

Best wishes,

Lucy A. Puniwai
Fathom Realty
Puniwai@fathomrealty.com
Mary Kathryn…, Agent, Corinth, TX
Wed Jan 2, 2013
Hi!
If you have not signed anything with them you can simply tell them you do not wish to work with them any longer. If you have signed a buyers rep agreement tell them you would like to cancel it. I never have those agreements signed at the beginning - you have to make sure the agent and client are a fit! I would love to help ya out if you would like to interview other agents! I'm here in Denton and have been practicing Real Estate now for 10 years and am ranked in the top 3 individual agents in the office!! Feel free to give me a buzz!

THANKS!
Mary Kathryn Clay - Realtor
RE/MAX North Associates
3111 Unicorn Lake Blvd. #110
Denton, TX 76210
Fax: 940-349-9294
http://www.marykclay.remaxtexas.com
http://www.searchnorthtexas.com
http://www.remax.com
Nobody in the world sells more real estate than RE/MAX!
Steve Quinta…, Agent, Albuquerque, NM
Wed Jan 2, 2013
Go with your instinct and change realtors. No one says you have to stay with one person if that person is not up to the task. Professionalism within the ranks should be required. With so much money on the table, don't risk it.
SO agree!
Flag Wed Jan 2, 2013
Jonathan King, Agent, Dallas, TX
Thu Apr 11, 2013
Come find a good realtor who actually cares about your needs and can give you a good experience with buying your home after speaking with your current agent about cancelling the buyer representation agreement. If you are looking for a good realtor, please email me jkingtxrealty@gmail.com or call my cell phone on my profile!

Jonathan King
Real T Team Associates
Brent Rice, Agent, Plano, TX
Wed Jan 2, 2013
Sometimes, it's not so simple, (based on what I have heard from folks in your situation). Your agent may have a problem with you wanting to terminate the representation agreement. Hopefully, they will see the bigger picture and allow you to terminate it. You will likely need to have a very good, and very honest reason. I hope it goes smoothly for you.

Brent Rice, Trulia Top Recommended Broker (Pro & VIP)
The Rice Group, Inc.
Website: http://www.ricegroupinc.com
214-808-3100
Brent@RiceGroupInc.com