What if a couple buys a home in April 2009 and marries in August 2009, who claims the tax credit and when?

Asked by Alice, Holland, MI Mon Apr 6, 2009

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Mary Kent, Agent, Grandville, MI
Mon Apr 6, 2009
It would be a good idea to consult a CPA/Accountant. I'm not certain in the case you have questioned but I have a client that will close on a home at the end of April, her CPA advised that she could amend her tax return this year to receive the benefits now. But as I recommended consult your CPA.
Web Reference:  http://ottawacountyhome.com
0 votes
Derek Bauer, Agent, South Lyon, MI
Mon Apr 6, 2009

As a married couple, both need to be 1st time buyers (or have not owned a home in the preceding 3 years) to get the tax credit. I imagine it may depend on how the tax return(s) are filed, as well.

We must advise that you seek an accounting and finance professional to answer these questions, as this is a tax law question much moreso than a real estate question. I will keep an eye on your responses and hope that a CPA chimes-in with an answer. Good question.

I hope that helps, and congratulations to you on both fronts!

Derek Bauer, Associate Broker / Realtor
Real Estate One
Web Reference:  http://DoorToDreams.com
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Home Buying in Holland Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more