What happened to all the traditional "realtors"?

Asked by OC92708, Fountain Valley, CA Sun Aug 12, 2012

It seems like most realtors that want to assist in my house search sign me up for automatic emails once they get some key words hit on listings on the MLS. I have the internet too and I can find these houses on my own! What happened to the good old fashioned realtors that will call you and say "I think I found the house that meets all your criteria and I want to show it to you!" I'm getting frustrated with realtors now days where I am asking them to show me properties that I find on the internet. Am I being old fashioned and asking for too much?

Answers

18
Mack McCoy, Agent, Seattle, WA
Tue Aug 14, 2012
The real thing is that clients and agents need to communicate. Clients need to make their expectations known and acknowledged, other wise, they stand on the sidelines dumbfounded by what the agent thinks is simply normal behavior.
Oh, yes, it has!
Flag Tue Aug 14, 2012
Brest response I have read yet, but I do think that the industry has changed quite a bit due to the internet.
Flag Tue Aug 14, 2012
Kawain Payne, Agent, Seal Beach, CA
Tue Aug 14, 2012
Hello Sato,

I agree in some ways our business like so many others has become too inpersonal. That being said, if you give your realtor the specs you want :size ,location ,price, #of bedrooms and baths ect
they will utilize the MLS service to search for homes for you. The MLS service is a service that realtors pay a fee to have exclusive access to. Your agent will be able to gather a wealth of info on a property via the MLS service, like property taxes, comps for the area,and private notes the listing agent has provided to agents ONLY regarding terms and conditions of the sale..

Often times in the interest of not wanting to waste your time they will email you the homes they would like to show you for you to preview. You can even look at a map of the area to confirm it is something you would like to view.

The problem with you searching the internet for yourself, is many consumer based websites may have information which is not current . For example you may find a home that shows active that has already sold, or is in escrow.

As an agent who mainly works with buyers, I too email my clients the properties I plan to show them for them to review. Most of the time, because I am searching based on the specs they have given me they want to view EVERYTHING I send them. Once in a while they will say the property is not one they are interested in.

I wish you the best of success!!

Kawain Payne, Realtor
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Tue Aug 14, 2012
You are entitled to your opinion......however, if you have access to the "tools" that can identify the information you require, why waste the agent's time. You enjoy the right of exercising your ability to function independently....why not go for it......
I appreciate the comments but now I ask, if that is the case, then what sets traditional agents apart from agents from Redfin, Zip Realty, and a million other brokers that give back part of their commission?
Flag Tue Aug 14, 2012
Jim Olive, Agent, Key West, FL
Tue Aug 14, 2012
I have found the opposite problem. I have hundreds of internet "leads" that refuse to engage. I email, I call, I cannot get them to come out from behind their computer and talk to me! I much prefer human contact, with the computer and internet as a powerful backup tool. I would welcome some old-fashioned customers who want to interact!
I am in sales my self and I don't expect a lot of hits from "leads" unless they are well qualified. I believe the internet has increased the number of leads but the quality has definitely gone down. What probably adds to this is the fact that in the past when I did ask for information, I felt like I was being "processed" through the system with no human element. When an agent knows that I am not buying within the next month, I get put on the back burner.
Flag Tue Aug 14, 2012
Harrison K.…, Agent, Irvine, CA
Mon Aug 13, 2012
Realtors who represent you will serve carefully to promote and protect your interests - if you are a client who is qualified and motivated to buy or sell properties.

I recommend that you establish a solid and trusting relationship with your Realtor - not just shopping around for whatever property you might stumble upon.

It's understandable that any Realtor you contact would want to qualify whether or not you are motivated.

Normal first or second step is for you to meet in person with your Realtor. He or she would provide you with lots of information for free about properties available and find out how you respond - whether you are qualified and motivated.

I hope this makes sense. Please contact an experienced Realtor agent in your area and interview those persons to see whether you want to develop that relationship. Best wishes.

Harrison K. Long, Realtor and broker associate, Coldwell Banker Previews, Irvine, CA.
Cindy Davis, Agent, San Diego, CA
Mon Aug 13, 2012
Interesting question...The truth of the matter is that many of us do what you're suggesting...call clients when we have a home for them. However, I only do this when I know a client well, have been working with the person awhile, and really understand their tastes and preferences.

Setting you up on a home search is the way most of us start a relationship. Doing so allows me to see which homes draw your attention and begin the conversation about your preferences. In addition, the MLS is THE source that all these other sites draw upon. As such, it is updated all day long, offering the most up to date information.

I believe that what you are asking for exists....I think that you are asking for too much too soon. I can't select a home for you until I've been out with you a time or two and really understand the type of home you want.

Wishing you the best.
So, how long does it take to build that relationship? 5 house visits? 10 house visits? 6 months?
Flag Mon Aug 13, 2012
PacWest Prop…, Agent, Orange, CA
Sun Aug 19, 2012
If you want to work with a traditional realtor... then give us a call at 714-771-3800 and we can help you with your home search..

Scott Fredrickson
PacWest Properties
714-771-3800
DRE #01000840
John Arendsen, Agent, Leucadia, CA
Tue Aug 14, 2012
Kudus to Bill and Jim for some great answers and insight. To expand in another deminsion to Jim's point just a tad; I get a little peeved when we RE professionals take time out of our day to read, study and answer questions and never get as much as a thanks from those that ask questions.

It's a two way street. It's nice to be acknowledged when you put it out there. I've contributed to threads that have had dozens of very intelligent answers and not one response from the person asking the question.
If you looks at the thread, I have been replying....
Flag Tue Aug 14, 2012
John Arendsen, Agent, Leucadia, CA
Tue Aug 14, 2012
Good point as usual Big Mack.
John Arendsen, Agent, Leucadia, CA
Tue Aug 14, 2012
I'm one of those ole fashioned RE professionals, however, you're out of my service area. They're still out there and your question just may surface them. That stated, I was a social media and blogging hold out for years until I realized the World was passing me by.

It's a whole new world today and it's a proven fact that 95% of all RE deals begin on the Internet. For that reason there's been a whole new protocol established to better assist the RE professional qualify and quantify all the interaction going on in the electronic world.

I'm just getting my little tootsies wet one day at a time and find it very overwhelming to say the least. But as the ole saying goes, "If you can't beat them, join them". Hope this helps.
Alan May, Agent, Evanston, IL
Mon Aug 13, 2012
I think you're misreading what they're offering.

Yes, they're going to set you up on an automated MLS feed. That doesn't mean they're not viewing the properties themselves, nor does it mean that they're not going to call you now and then with the "Hey, I found a property that you really need to see!" call.

But in today's busy, busy real estate world, we want to make sure that you see properties that meet your parameters as soon as humanly possibly. And since I have more than one client, I want to make sure that if I'm busy with something else, or perhaps don't get a chance to peruse the MLS in the morning, that you get the listing the very moment it hits the market.

Are you being old fashioned? Yes. Are you asking too much? No. Just let the Realtor you choose know that while you're happy to have the auto-search, you'd still like a personal contact when they find something that they feel fits your needs.
Walter 'Skip'…, Agent, Brea, CA
Mon Aug 13, 2012
Great question. I prefer to do both, set my clients up to receive properties via email AND also search, preview and find proerties for them. Pictures can be deceiving and it is important to be out in the field looking for good properties. A lot of your frustration may be comng from the fact that the inventory of homes for sale is extremely low. There are many more buyers than good properties. You must watch at least daily and act quickly.
Mack McCoy, Agent, Seattle, WA
Mon Aug 13, 2012
Hmmm.

Sato, why should Realtors® be living in the past when you - the consumer - are not?

You're using the internet, we're putting our listings on the internet so you can find out about them within minutes - and you want us to be "old-fashioned?"

Fugeddaboudit!

The only way we're going to find out about them before you is if you become a "traditional" buyer and sit at home and wait for us to ring your phone.

Sato, the new wave is this: you're on the internet at work or at home while we're on the road or working with other clients. You find out about the house at 10:30 am, we'd find out at 1:00 when we check in - what's the dif?
The thing about expectations is that they need to be communicated in order to have the reasonable expectation that they might be fulfilled. I think it's just human nature that after several years of having internet-searching clients tell us what to see, we may not always be as proactive as someone such as yourself may like.
Flag Tue Aug 14, 2012
Understand your point about the few hour difference in identifying a potential property but that is not my issue. How would you explain questions such as "are there any houses you want to see?" As my realtor, I would think that you would go through the same lists that I have and make recommendations based on the criteria I provided. Not to mention, the fact that realtors usually have better insight into shortsales and foreclosures as well that may fit our need that we as customers do not have access to the info to. Just my expectations I guess.
Flag Mon Aug 13, 2012
Lori Hanson, Agent, Aliso Viejo, CA
Mon Aug 13, 2012
Salto,
Let me put a little diffferent spin on the answers you have gotten so far. While searching the internet on your own is great, those properties may not still be available, won't work for your situation, etc, which is why getting current listings from an agent is a good thing. Inventory is low, and so things move very fast out there. Working with a good agent that can learn what your likes are, and your willing to be flexible andhaving stamina to stay in the game today is key.
I hope my answer helps you a bit.
Lori Hanson
OC Homes Realty
714 585 5236 Cell
DRE 01405146
estatepricing@yahoo.com
Rekha Shah, Agent, Long Beach, CA
Sun Aug 12, 2012
Hi Sato,

We are all still here. Today everyone needs freedom to search on their own.Of course internet exposure about the property is to reach maximum client world wide. People have a choice to look at the pictures, watch a virtual tour, & then decide to look at the place or not, this way it saves time & one can filter out what they wants to see. Agents are here to help you with the detail of the property & they have access to the property. they are trained professional to make appoinment & brinf able qualified buyers to the salers.

Rekha
Christina So…, , Irvine, CA
Sun Aug 12, 2012
Hello Sato,

What you are asking for is not being old fashioned. Unfortunately, with the onset of technology, a lot of people in our profession have become more and more dependent on automatic emails. If you are wanting a more traditional realtor feel free to contact me and I would be more than happy to explain how I work with my clients and if you feel that I am the right fit for you, I would be more than happy to assist you in finding the right home for you.

Christina Song
Engel & Volkers, Newport Beach
christina.song@engelvoelkers.com
Cell: 949) 355-1812
Piere Pirnej…, Agent, Irvine, CA
Sun Aug 12, 2012
No Your not asking for too much however because of the internet the industry has changed tremendously. Most clients like to search for homes in their free time and work as a partner with their agents, that being said most of the consumer sites are not updated as frequently as the MLS so your agent should provide your with more up to date information.

The thing that you are most right about and is frustrating you is most likely part time agent or as i like to call them Agents By Default. these are the agents that do the bare minimum during their spare time, they don't typically go on any broker previews or office meeting to know what is current and to really stay in the moment as to what is going on in the market.

If you have an agent that is not providing you the service you expect I would have a conversation with them and let them know what your expectations are and that if they can meet your expectations or even exceed them then you will be loyal to them and use their services and rely on their knowledge, but if they can preform then why work with someone that your not comfortable with, Just make sure they understand what your intentions are and keep the line of communication open.
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Sun Aug 12, 2012
"What happened to the good old fashioned realtors that will call you and say "I think I found the house that meets all your criteria and I want to show it to you!"

I love this question!!!
:)

Well - here I am - old fashioned and still chuggin along after 27 years in the business!

I, personally , do NOT sign my clients up for automatic emails - some of them do that on their own, however..............I prefer to peruse the listings daily and email appropriate listings with notations as to why I think the house may or may not work for them.

To me - that's just part of my job.

I also like to still PREVIEW homes before showing them if I can (can't believe that's a novel idea these days)...........

I had an agent show a lisitng of mine (I had to accompany, so I was there) and I was quite annoyed when I heard the buyer say: "Oh, there's no room for a pool"..............all the agent had to do, if she was too lazy to check it out ahead of time, was simply ASK me if a pool could be installed...........

So..........IMO, you're not asking for too much.......you're asking for the full service so many agents like to say they provide......and many don't!!

I enjoy cultivating a strong relationship with my buyers, so that when the right house comes along - I know it before they do!

Best wishes!