What does it mean when the description of a house lists STAR and then a dollar amount. I have seen dollar amounts ranging from $500 to $900.

Asked by Cliff, 14209 Thu Mar 6, 2014

I know that the STAR program is school tax relief but in my own research I haven't found anything resembling those types of numbers. Help!

Answers

3
Craig Wheeler, Agent, Williamsville, NY
Sat Mar 8, 2014
STAR program allows a deduction of your taxes based on your income. The deduction is based on your combined income, of you and your spouse. I provided a link below, for you to view guidelines.
Gail Gladsto…, Agent, 11743, NY
Thu Mar 6, 2014
This should be the amount you can deduct from the stated tax. STAR is not a given, you have to apply for it.

it is required that Realtors post the True Tax and can then indicate in the notes what the STAR reduction would be if applied for.
Thomas Moser, Agent, East Northport, NY
Thu Mar 6, 2014
The are telling you the amount of the STAR exemption. Subtract this from the "true tax" to find what you will actually be paying.