Home Buying in Hopkinton>Question Details

Melmont, Home Buyer in Hopkinton, MA

What does it mean when a house is listed for sale but the status of the house is contingent instead of being active or pending.?

Asked by Melmont, Hopkinton, MA Sat Sep 4, 2010

Hi Melmont,

Did you ever find out what happened with that house? If not, I'd be glad to check on the status if you email me it to me:

Judy Boyle
RE/MAX Signature Properties
Northborough, MA
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 19, 2010
It means there has been an accepted offer on the property but the company will continue to market it pending the mortgage commitment or another reason. After everything is met, they will mark it under agreement until closing. You can still place back up offers, but they usually don't fall through. If they do than the status is back on the market to active. Hope this is helpful.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 4, 2010
Usually it means that the house has a contract on it subject to some type of contingency that needs to take place in order for the deal to go forward. For example, it could be contingent on a house sale or a house close. That would mean that the buyer either has to sell their home or close on their home to purchase this home. If they can't sell or don't close, then that is their out from having to buy the current home.

There is usually a kickout clause with contingent offers. If a buyer wanted to submit an offer, they could do so but the first buyer would have a time period (24, 48 or even72 hrs) to drop their contingency. If they can't, then the contract becomes null and void and the seller is free to accept the new offer.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 4, 2010