What documentation will be needed for a foreigner who BUY IN CASH for a house in USA?

Asked by abajodrive, Mobile, AL Thu Apr 18, 2013

I 'm not a citizen of USA, nor holding a green card, so I'm a completely foreigner, currently in the escrow process of buying a house in Riverside county in the Greater Los Angeles area.
On the process of escrow, I wasn't asked any of identification such as Passport, or anything else.
My broker agent in LA told me that a foreigner who buy in cash don't need any ID document, just need to put the correct full name in the Escrow documentation. That's it, just a CORRECT FULL NAME, because I'm buying in CASH.
At the Escrow docs, they put only my FULL NAME, nothing of my Passport number, Photo ID, or else was put on the Escrow document.
They told me that except for those who buy in mortgage will need so much documents such as ID, proof of income, etc.
My question is:
1. Is it correct that foreigner who buy a house IN CASH in USA don't need any of ID documents such as Passport?
2. What if someone who has the same full name as mine, someday claim the house as his/her?
I need answer from Profs

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more