What do you think of Altaire TownHomes in Palo Alto?

Asked by eager_first_buyer, Palo Alto, CA Sun Jan 4, 2009

Are they a good buy?
What do you think of the location, traffic, noise, schools etc?
How much price do think they will negotiate in this tough market?

Answers

9
Slava Derugin, , Palo Alto, CA
Wed Feb 16, 2011
Hi there!

Honestly, negotiations would be difficult because Altaire has sufficient demand already. There have been 7 sales in the last year, and 4 more currently pending.

**** PROS ****

1. It’s in Palo Alto! The city in general offers excellent weather, excellent schools (sorry, I disagree with the poster who criticised them), restaurants, etc.

2. Larger units than some other PA complexes.

3. JCC nearby offers lots of features/services.

4. Quick access to 101.

**** CONS ****

1. High HOA fees do not include pool or gym. To my knowledge, free membership to JCC only lasts 1 year.

2. No good views, and not a walkable area in terms of restaurants/shopping, or even just neighborhood walks. In comparison, Sterling will have two on-site parks, located in a true neighborhood, and just a few blocks walk to Philz Coffe;)

3. Parking is an issue, since you don't have a garage, unlike Sterling or Echelon.

4. Located on a very busy intersection, and lots of traffic from JCC. As JCC becomes more popular and starts hosting more events, you can expect increased traffic. If you want a quieter location, you may consider Echelon, or even Sterling (the noise wall blocking 101 traffic is pretty effective).

5. Built on top of contaminated soil. Of course there were safety measures put in during construction, but if underground VOC’s are a concern for you – just be aware.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you need further assistance.

~Slava
deruginproperties@gmail.com
Pinky, , Palo Alto, CA
Thu Oct 29, 2009
if you're moving to Palo ALto for the schools, go somewhere else. The high test scores are due to the smart kids who live in the city, with smart parents, not because the schools are good. The good schools are a myth. The elementary and middle schools are OK, but nothing special at all. Once you get to the high schools though, forget it! Nothing innovative or new, the English is from 20 years ago, science not taught well, curriculum is ho hum - not much hands on learning, just dull academic book learning. some teachers can't speak English but expect the kids to learn high level math anyway, etc. - many teachers are apathetic or hostile or just plain overworked. Kids are given so much homework they can't manage the stress, and just look at what's going on at Gunn. So don't move into some cramped house near 101 just for the schools. The rest of the "charm" of Palo Alto you can get in many other less expensive towns in the area.
Dj, Renter, Palo Alto, CA
Mon Feb 7, 2011
This is way over-priced, to say nothing of the HOA. You could do so much better elsewhere.
The noise & pollution from 101 & surrounding major roads is terrible.
Supershick, Home Buyer, California
Mon Feb 1, 2010
That's exactly what I was thinking too. That's why I traveled down the street off of Bayshore and I discovered Sterling Park. Still don't own the land, because Palo Alto doesn't allow it, but much better price, reasonable HOA fees, and my own garage! woohoo!
Palo Buyer, Home Buyer, Palo Alto, CA
Mon Feb 1, 2010
I looked at this and thought it was a great entry into Palo Alto. However, there is no garage, no yard, high HOA fees, and you don't own any of the land. This is a major issue - What am I paying ~$1m for then?
Xuegao, Both Buyer And Seller, Cupertino, CA
Tue Jan 19, 2010
Decent price for PA. Pretty good location for everything. Schools are big plus. Only thing that I don't like is the garage. It doesn't come with a garage and can't image these raining days in the winter.
Supershick, Home Buyer, California
Wed Jul 22, 2009
Bump for more opinions =) I was looking at Altaire but their inability to budge deterred me from further negotiation, even with an agent there. Is this a good growth opportunity purchase for the upcoming 5 years?
Supershick, Home Buyer, California
Fri Apr 24, 2009
Anymore opinions on Altaire? I'm very interested in this development and the JCC is a big incentive for me. I see promising growth for this development around this area. Are my notions correct?
Nina Daruwal…, Agent, Cupertino, CA
Mon Jan 5, 2009
Hi Shrik,

The Townhomes in Palo Alto are good, location is good too, close enough access to freeways, Palo Alto is a good Buy. Traffic - you can expect what is normal for city living, noise level inside the homes would be minimum as being new homes they will all have double paned windows.
Schools- Fairmeadows Elementary, J L Stanford Middle and Gunn High; all very good schools!
They are about ready to start selling the first phase. PLEASE, go with a Realtor the FIRST time you visit them as your Realtor needs to be REGISTERED with you, so that he/she can Negotiate on your behalf. Yes they will give specials, and will negotiate on the price in this market environment!
I have put other clients into new homes and negotiated VERY WELL for them. If you need referrals I can provide you with some. I will be happy to take you over and get you into a new home! Would prefer to sit down with you, find out your Real Estate needs, and help you Best meet them!
Please contact me, 408-7773823.
Nina Daruwalla
Web Reference:  http://www.ninadaruwalla.com