What do you think about searching homes on craigslist?

Asked by Alberto Rodriguez, San Diego, CA Mon Dec 12, 2011

What is your favorite?

Answers

43
Terry Bell’s answer
Terry Bell, Agent, Santa Rosa, CA
Mon Dec 12, 2011
Well, I hope people search on Craigslist, because I list my listings and open houses there! But certainly the public should read ads carefully and I suggest that they understand that when they respond to an agent's ad that is a licensed Realtor, they are getting a professional who has been trained to protect their interests, whether a buyer or seller. I would say to be careful about "too good to be true ads" not listed by an agent with their license number or for sale by owner listings.
Wesley Guest, Agent, San Diego, CA
Wed Jan 30, 2013
Craigslist has taken a major downturn as far as real estate goes since 2012 and into 2013. Consumers are much better off using Trulia or another dedicated real estate website that syndicates listings directly from MLS. It will be interesting to see what if anything Craigslist does to get a hold of the free for all it has going in their real estate section. It seems the next logical step is to charge per ad, that would put an end to much of the nonsense quickly.

Wesley Guest
Web Reference:  http://wesleyguest.com/
christine ka…, Agent, Temecula, CA
Fri Feb 27, 2015
Craigslist and Trulia both allow people to post their own listings. What they should have is a "rating" system like ebay, so that you can tell if it is the first property they are posting, or their 50th. If it is their 50th and none have been flagged as a scam, then they are probably ok.

i flag several weekly in my area and the postings only have an email of phone, but no agent or company name that we can look up.

As of now, they just sign up as a new user and post a new scam. tenants or buyers can't tell the difference between a valued owner/property mgmt company or a newby.
Newby's are fine, but would just need to provide a little info as to proove the ownership of the property.
Just my 2 cents.
It would make it much more valuable to consumers to know that the properties listed have been vetted a little.
Cindy Davis, Agent, San Diego, CA
Tue Sep 18, 2012
This is something I have a strong opinion about. Intimately familiar with the San Diego real estate section of Craigslist, it used to be a good source for house hunting. It's not anymore.

The vast majority of posts are all various forms of spam with few ads about specific homes. Trying to wade through the nonsense to get to a true listing is just too hard these days.

I strongly recommend searching for a home on realtor.com or the website of any realtor in san diego. We all have a form of the mls on our sites and all these sites are just a day behind the actual mls.

With low inventory and buyers eager to take advantage of low interest rates, homes are selling very quickly so you want a search site that stays up to date.

Please let me know how I can help with your home search.

Take care.
SERGEY FEDNOV…, Agent, Beverly Hills, CA
Fri Apr 27, 2012
I think it is best to have your agent search for property to avoid problems in the future and scam artist which CraigsList is full of.

____________________

Help with Any Real Estate Transaction - Buy or Sell

Call me 424-777-9377 - FREE CONSULTATION!

Should you have any questions - please feel free to call me Toll Free: 1-855-TRUST-55 (1-855-878-7855) ext. 777.

Sergey Fednov

President - Realtor®
- Trust Sale Realty -

Residential & Commercial Real Estate
_______________________________
Toll Free: 1-855-TRUST-55
Toll Free: 1-855-878-7855
Phone: 424-777-9377
Fax: 310-356-4925
http://www.TrustSale.com
http://www.TrustSaleRealty.com
- We Hire CA Licensed Real Estate Agents -
Lic# 01896869
Alan Grizzle, Agent, Dahlonega, GA
Fri Dec 16, 2011
Look out for fake post. I had someone take pictures from one of my listings and make a fake listing out of it.
Web Reference:  http://www.alangrizzle.com
Leon Cruz, Agent, Orlando, FL
Fri Dec 16, 2011
Home buyers should stick to the saying "if it aint broke dont fix it" stick to working with a realtor.....

Leon Cruz Orlando florida.
John Reeves, Agent, San Diego, CA
Sun Mar 1, 2015
Both site is useful .. you can search and post your listings , you can do some searching for available homes .. so for us or me i choose both even though we usually post our adds on Trulia and Zillow but still craigslist is good ..
John Reeves, Agent, San Diego, CA
Sun Feb 22, 2015
Sometimes Craigslist is irritating .. there's a lot of Properties for sale but when you ask for some info they will not respond worst it ended a scam!
David Rudd, Agent, San Diego, CA
Sun Feb 22, 2015
Hi Brad,

The issue on craiglist is the same as most "discount" services - you get what you pay for -

A lot of agents post sales (even other agents listings - which violates ethics rules) on craigslist. For sale by owners who post - can be a headache and result in legal issues.

I would avoid.

David Rudd
Kindred Real Estate / KW
Bradley Neum…, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Franklin, TN
Sat Nov 9, 2013
I don't do anything on Craigslist over $5000 value. It can help search but I recommend getting a realtor and I know several good ones I can recommend. For mortgage help, call or email for a free pre-approval in less than 10 minutes. We lend our own money and are licensed in 49 states.

We can do: FHA, Conventional, USDA, VA, HARP, Interest Only, Home Equity, Fixed, and Variable. Find out which product is right for you by calling Brad at (855) 415-5626.

Brad Neumann
Sr. Loan Officer
Crosscountry Mortgage Inc.
Toll Free: (855) 415-5626 ext. 5734
Email: bneumann@myccmortgage.com
NMLS# 948036
Jeff Jenkel, Agent, San Diego, CA
Wed Oct 30, 2013
Adding one more tool to any search is not a bad idea. However, you are likely to get more useful information on real estate based sites for a home purchase. You may run into post that are designed to attract buyers with information that sounds just too good to be true. If you are looking for a rental Craigslist can be a powerful.

Jeff Jenkel
Sam Cong, Agent, San Diego, CA
Thu Oct 24, 2013
Craigslist is the best place for finding renters. Too many post for property listings and too many people sending you spam emails too.
Michael Ford, Agent,
Mon Sep 30, 2013
since this question was first posted two years craigslist has devolved into little more than a lead generator for agents.

have a look and see how many ads have no price, no address and no specific property and are instead a tool to capture buyer leads and emails. may are blind ads placed by licensees which violate the law requiring disclosing licensed status

unfortunately craigslist has become a waste of time for someone seeking info on a specific property.

here is my pledge to the buyers of this world...

any ad i place there will have an address, a price and an easy way to contact me with a clear memo that i am a licensee.
Sherry Kotvis…, Agent, Riverside, CA
Mon Sep 30, 2013
Craigs List has it's pros and its cons. There are many great posts on CL that are posted by both professional licensed Realtors as well as individual parties trying to sell their home without a Realtor.

Some in the business post their listings and other professional services and some postings claim to be licensed Realtors yet the posts come across unprofessional and somewhat questionable.

Sellers (often times investors) trying to save on commission also post their properties for sale in the FSBO section. I think with anything it is buyer beware and do your due diligence.
Maria Cipoll…, Agent, Coral Springs, FL
Mon Sep 30, 2013
Whether you are looking for an easy way to sell your home or just looking for homes for sale, you have to find this information in real estate sites that have the tips from experts on buying and selling real estate, as well as tips on how to improve the value of your home and much more.

There are so many to mention, like Realtors.com, Trulia, Zillow, homes.yahoo.com, etc. Craiglist it shouldn't be one of your choices.

Maria Cipollone

http://www.Flahomespecialist.com

http://www.Linkedin.com/pub/maria-cipollone/32/735/81b/
David Rudd, Agent, San Diego, CA
Mon Sep 30, 2013
As with anything on craigslist - beware.

If you are doing the search on your own and not validating with your professional real estate agent, than I would advise against it.

If you are looking, compiling a list of interesting properties, and then meeting with an agent that is representing you, than that is great.

Best of Luck,

David Rudd
Kindred Real Estate
858.395.6315
Mr Credit, Other Pro, San Diego, CA
Thu May 23, 2013
It's ok to get a very general feel for what prices look like, but you'll have to get out there and start looking at properties to really get a feel for the market. If anything is listed on Craigslist at this point, there is something wrong with it. Most listings in this market are sold before the sign gets in the ground...

Mr. Credit
Web Reference:  http://www.MrCredit.org
Michael Ford, Agent,
Tue May 21, 2013
it's an excellent source if you have lots of time but a real chore to find the nuggets. for instance i have an ad there today for a house with full contact info, a price, a map, all the stuff you want...that's a rarity these days.

the lions share of ads are lead generators that are NOT for a specific address but designed to capture you as a lead. even one of the responders below my answer here is guilty of that

if your willing to put in the time simply look for ads with an address and a phone number...otherwise they are fishing for leads
Trudi Geniale, Agent, San Diego, CA
Mon Mar 25, 2013
Hi Alberto,
I think its a good idea to search a lot of sites if you are serious about purchasing a home. Buying a home is a serious decision to make and doing good research helps you find the area you like the most.

I don't always like that in general unless an Agent has put a listing on a site relying on a general value for a particular home is not the best way to go. For example if I look up a home on an app its only going to give me a general median price. You just can't rely on that:
Heres an example I had a home for sale in Fort Lauderdale on a waterfront lot in a very prestigious neighborhood. One of these apps gave the home a lower value because they used comparables from dry land sales around it. That is like comparing apples to oranges and meant about a $400,000 error in giving a price to that buyer for the house. This gave the person who was looking to buy in the area the idea that the house was way over priced.

I always think its a good way to look at homes and areas but you should always use a Qualified Realtor who knows the area you are looking in and can guide you through all the steps of purchaing that home.

Just one final thought to all you buyers out there! As you hold a job so do we. This is our profession and full time job. We do not get paid until the property you are buying closes and you get your keys. So please, if we ask you if you have a Realtor please don't lie to us! It is not fair to the Realtor you are working with and it is not fair to us.

Trudi Geniale - Broker
Buycoastalrealtyllc.com
Frank, Agent, Los Angeles, CA
Tue Sep 18, 2012
The best site is.... the one with the freshest information. I will not be name specific, but some sites are riddled with scammers, some have outdated information and so on. My recommendation is that you contact an agent that has MLS access, any other source of information could be out of date by days and weeks the mls is fed by people who sell properties, and the other sites get their information relayed. This means that a fresh and shinny new listing on a website may have been for sale already in the mls for days or weeks and when you get to get information it has been sold.
Shay McDowell, Both Buyer And Seller, 92113
Sun Jul 15, 2012
I am against it. Craigs list is OK but it is not really professional enough for me ... ( trash and cash to others ... ) Recent report ... 9,000?+ loss to rental Scam using Properties that are FOR SALE ... and quick to drag and drop paste and rip off , to collect a few quick thou -- $$ , in un-suspecting renters and the like right here in Americas' Finest Cify* .... See them on You Tube ... what that guy go ! type in : recent Rental Scams on Craigs list and it may come up with video*...
Darrell D. D…, Agent, Schertz, TX
Wed Jun 13, 2012
I utilize Craigslist to market open houses and as another means of marketing homes. But by all means, this is not a primary or end all source of marketing. I have had luck obtaining tenants for rentals but not much luck with buyers and sellers.

And, being an open forum for the general public, there are numerous scam artists that use it to both spam blast posters or also post ads to entice spam activity. It is filled with spam solicitations. In this regards, I caution the general public to beware.
April Nguyen, Agent, San Diego, CA
Wed Jun 13, 2012
Craigslist is great for RENTALS and BUYING/SELLING random things. For home buying you should work with a professional real estate agent. They have your best interest. Making a home purchase is one of the biggest investments in a person's life. If you are a serious buyer... you'll want to work with a professional. =)

April Nguyen
http://www.realtoraprilnguyen.com
http://www.realtoraprilnguyen.com/idx/community/mira-mesa/?i…
Kevin and Ju…, Agent, Wildomar, CA
Wed Jun 13, 2012
Many agents put their listings on CL, but be careful... Realtors use the MLS and are held to high standards. My advice would be to use a Realtor to help you.

Good luck in your search! It is a great time to buy!
Janet McCart…, Agent, San Diego, CA
Wed Jun 13, 2012
I prefer the MLS because the information is accurate. Craigslist is popular with buyers who are still in the thinking phase.
Jay Becker S…, Agent, La Jolla, CA
Wed Jun 13, 2012
The vast majority of homes on CL are also listed through MLS.

MLS is a more standardized and the listing party is actually responsible and liable for the listing information.

Anything goes on Craigslist.

Buyer Beware
Cindy Davis, Agent, San Diego, CA
Wed May 16, 2012
Craigslist remains a very popular forum for searching homes. The best part about craigslist is that ads only last 7 days so they tend to be more up-to date than Trulia or Zillow. (sorry Trulia).

That said, the real estate section in San Diego has gone to the dogs in the past year and there are huge amounts of spam on it. It takes a great deal to wade through it and at this point, I would suggest using Realtor.com or the website of a Realtor. These are direclty linked to the MLS and updated daily.
Janet McCart…, Agent, San Diego, CA
Fri Apr 20, 2012
Craigslist is great. I place ads on there all the time. I rarely get a call from someone who wants more information and the few times I have they are just looking.
Cindy Davis, Agent, San Diego, CA
Thu Apr 19, 2012
Loads of people search on craigslist and there is nothing in and of itself wrong with it. In past months however, it has turned into a free for all, and you honestly tell the difference between a real ad and a scam.

The very best source of real estate inventory is the MLS. Every agent's website is a direct feed of MLS data. So, using an agen'ts website is probably the best recommendation I can offer.
Heather Paul, Agent, Santa Monica, CA
Mon Dec 26, 2011
Alberto, you are an agent, I am wondering why you are asking this question??? I think people always do better with a local Realtor helping them versus searching the few homes listed on craigslist, also there are a lot of scams on craigslist.
Sherry Kotvis…, Agent, Riverside, CA
Mon Dec 26, 2011
Like it or not,consumers use it. I post regularly and have gotton leads. Just like all other on line lead sources some good leads and some garbage. I have been working on tighteng up the quality of content and it seems to attract more quality than not.
David Chiles, Other Pro, Los Angeles, CA
Sat Dec 17, 2011
Searching for a home on Craigslist is good cyber research. I do not necessarily recommend buying a home that you found on Craigslist, however, when making an offer it pays to know what everyone else is doing and asking. Searching for a home on Craigslist can provide valuable information.

There are many rules of netiquette that should be followed when using craigslist. Please visit this site about the rules of netiquette before using Craigslist for anything because there are a lot of criminals who use it.
Charity Lenea…, Home Buyer, Humboldt, TN
Sat Dec 17, 2011
I would be very scared to search for a house that me way. You need to be very careful it could be a scam most people that want to see their house deal with an agency.
Alberto Rodr…, Agent, San Diego, CA
Tue Dec 13, 2011
Great responses, thank you. I have had success with posting my own listings and my office listings there, but not that much recently. It is a great resource for rentals. I do notice there is an increase in fake listings.
It is very important you do work with a REALTOR.
Lance King, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Tue Dec 13, 2011
The only reason to search craigslist is for FSBO properties. Agents who advertise pocket listings are rarely going to only post them on craigslist.
Bob Davis, Agent, Long Beach, CA
Tue Dec 13, 2011
For buyers searcing homes it is OK. why not just search on the mls. I just never saw an advantage to craislist. There are going to be the same homes as the MLS. The only differnce is you may find a FSBO once in a while that is not on the mls.
Roland Vinya…, Agent, Sprakers, NY
Tue Dec 13, 2011
As a broker, I use Craigs List and find it a decent source of leads. It is frustrating to use, but there is a LOT in there, the vast majority of which is of no interest whatsoever to me. I have not seen the scams others refer to, though some "replies" are obviously fraudulent. We also list property there and get as good a number of replies from it as other sources we use. We try to put in property that is more likely to attract a local clientele.
Annette Law…, Agent, Palm Harbor, FL
Tue Dec 13, 2011
Depends on who you know is participating in your local real estate market.
The demographics of those who search for homes on craigslist is very well defined. If that is the business you are after, then most definitely post away.

Not long ago, last month even, I started my Monday with call from the office of a FedEx envelope with a $2,400 check enclosed from a Real Estate company in Happy Valley. Minutes later, FedEx delivers a envelope to my home office containing yet another check for $2,742 from a New York City business. Both obvious 'gotcha' endeavors originating in Nigeria. These folks are getting better every day. If you have vacant homes to sell, make absolutely certain you are able to monitor all activity in that environment. The risks increase with each passing month.
allan erps,A…, Agent, Pearl River, NY
Tue Dec 13, 2011
It is somewhat viable, but as the saying goes, "let the Buyer beware".
Suzanne MacD…, Agent, Morristown, NJ
Tue Dec 13, 2011
I post all my listings on Craig's list! I don't get a lot of calls on homes for sale from it but if you are doing rentals there is nothing else like it! I also search it myself every day for FSBOs and For Rent By Owner's. It is a good source of leads as well. I find that sellers who post their homes on Craig's List aren't very serious. Mostly they have heard stories, urban legends really, about some guy down the street who posted his house for sale on Craig's List and sold it within a week for an outrageous amount of money. So, they try it for a week, or two then list with a realtor! YOU should BE that realtor! I have picked up more than one listing this way. Yes, there are a lot of scammers but they are pretty easy to spot and the benefits far outweigh the detriment. AND there is absolutely NO COST! Win/Win/Win/Win!
Dan Tabit, Agent, Issaquah, WA
Mon Dec 12, 2011
Alberto,
Buyer's look there, but it's a different experience from looking on an MLS fed website. Agent listed homes are next to FSBO's and some fraudulent listings by scammers. I think the price is right as an agent, so I post homes there regularly, but I can't say it's been a winning strategy as a listing agent.
I did sell one as a buyer's agent that was a FSBO my buyer found. We were able to work out terms so that all parties were fairly treated and my client got a great deal on a good home.
Shirley Cheng, Agent, San Jose, CA
Mon Dec 12, 2011
I do like craigslist for almost anything, but I try to steer clear of it when listing homes on there. I feel like consumers want to go on trusted sites and when you put something on craigslist, people tend to doubt if the price or the home or the agent is the real thing.
Web Reference:  http://www.dolcehomes.com